Pea Eye

LynnK

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 4:48 pm

I thought I saw a thread on a new treatment for pea eye here somewhere if anyone knows where it is can you bring it back up to the top I can´t find it, if not then I´m just going crazy!
Last edited by LynnK on Sat Feb 23, 2002 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 4:55 pm

Not sure if it is here or not, but I think Pinta observed that her pigs´ pea eye improved when they were on lasix. The lasix was probably being used on pigs with a heart condition. I don´t know if this is a treatment or a side effect from treatment for another condition.

I think Josephine has mentioned that it can be corrected surgically if it is a problem for the pig.

pinta

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2002 1:11 am

A low dose of lasix (0.2cc daily for a 2 .5 lb. pig)for 2 to 3 weeks has reduced the size of the pea eye by about 50%.

We first noted Lasix could help pea eye when the pea eye in a sow with a heart condition completely disappeared after a few weeks on Lasix.

Lasix is a harsh drug with cautions of its own(extremely dehydrating) so it shopuld not be used casually. Pigs with kidney conditions are NOT candidates for this treatment.

We only resort to the Lasix when the pea eye is causing the pig pain. So far it´s proven to be an effective control.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1