First Angel...now it's Elsie..crying when peeing.!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:17 am

Update: I just spoke to Dr. S. Angel is going on Prednisone for 2 weeks with an antibiotic for 1 week.

He explained that this could be a cure. That she has a sterile inflammatory reaction going on. There is blood in the urine and pain on urination buy yet no evidence of an infection.

He said that Prednisone has been used in guinea pigs so I feel okay with this now.

He'll test a voided urine sample in two weeks.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:24 am

Steroids can lower immune system function. Watch out for symptoms of URI and other illnesses.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:26 am

"Steroids can lower immune system function."

Thanks for the warning. He did explain that and that is the reason she'll be taking the Bactrim.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:08 pm

Update: Angel had no improvement with the prednisone. She is back to crying when urinating almost every time again.

Today Dr. S tested her urine again and she still has blood and white blood cells. So, he wants me to try her on Elavil, which is Amitriptyline. It is used to treat the pain of interstitial cystitis by blocking pain, calming bladder spasms and reducing inflammation. He said it's not been used in guinea pigs but he has worked out a dosage for Angel. I'll be picking it up Wednesday and hoping that this works!

If anybody has any experience with this medication please let me know!

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:24 pm

It's an antidepressant used to alter perception of pain. As far as it having any anti inflammatory response that's a new one to me unless it works on the nervous system that regulates muscle contraction. It doesn't work directly in the bladder actually fixing it like Elmiron would. It works on the signals your brain sends to your body.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:46 pm

Not familiar with it but I wish you the best. Let us know how it works.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:39 pm

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:32 pm

Holly, do you have experience with Elmiron? Dr. S. said if the Amitriptyline doesn't work that we're not out of options yet. However, he preferred to take one step at a time so he didn't tell me what else he has in mind.

At least I know he's not giving up on her yet. That's why I went to him...he's that kind of vet.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:43 pm

I don't have experience giving it to pets and luckily I don't have to take it myself. I think it's good he's taking one step at a time. Elmiron may or may not be what she needs. I hope you see improvement with Elavil as well.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:53 pm

Thanks! I do too! It's been 1yr and 3 months and $2,000 spent trying to get her some relief. Poor baby O:(

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:00 pm

It's good your vet is willing to try things to help make her comfortable. We're all thinking healing thoughts for her!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:44 pm

Angel's gotten worse, not better. We just tried Amitryptilline(sp?) and it didn't work.

Dr. S consulted with a pathologist from Antech Labs who recommended we treat by removing leafy greens from her diet replacing with more fleshy fruits/veggies, give her a higher dosage of Metacam and have me give her subcues to increase urinary output. He also said not to put her on the Metacam until we do bloodwork.

I am a bit confused as to wether I should go thru with this or not. He said he would draw the blood from her jugular. Also, why do I have to give subcues when I can syringe her water?

Does anybody have any input on these next steps? We have an appt. Wednesday.