Correct Lasix dosage

melcvt00

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:57 pm

Cucumber probably wasn't the best thing (it can make them kinda gassy)....but if it was all she'd eat....better than nothing.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:22 pm

Glad to hear you found a more knowledgeable vet. I hope Zipper continues to improve.

Cara

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:13 am

Her breathing is much, much better. What worries me now is her eyes are watery and her poops are very mushy. I guess that's better than small and dry. She is afraid of me and when I come into the room she runs into her house. She has eaten some lettuce and cilantro, she didn't carrot and she didn't have a chance to eat tomato b/c the others ate them before she could. I haven't gotten the critical care into her, should I really force feed it? I think my questions are winding down. I just wish she'd chew on the wire like she used to for food.

melcvt00

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:17 am

Check her weight....if she's still losing, I would definitely forcefeed. The more weight she loses, the worse she'll feel, so the less she'll eat, so she'll lose more weight, so she'll feel worse, so.....

You get the idea. A little weight goes a long way with these guys....

Glad to hear that she's doing a bit better, though. :)

Cara

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:22 am

Mel, if you read the preivous posts you'll see she's gaining weight. She normally weighs just under a lb. She did weigh 1.1 lbs and popped up to 2.0. She weighed 2 at the vets yesterday and this am was just under. It's not an issue of weight loss. Josephine, do I force feed the critical care? I'm asking because she is eating some hay and veggies. She is pooping, it's mushy, not holding a real shape but it is poop so that means the food is coming through. I know her motility won't be back to normal right away. Should she be getting more reglan or is the propulsid enough? Thank you so much for your answers and help. I really appreciate it.

melcvt00

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:35 am

But was it real weight, or fluid weight?

Cara

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:45 am

Reread my posts! I really am short on nerves and time so forgive me if I sound like a super bitch today. She had fluid arounbd her heart and in her lungs and air in her belly but she also had tons of food which couldn't get though. I am asking because she normally only weighs under a lb or lately just over 1.1 at the absolute most. She is losing weight but she's coming back to normal so therefore b/c she's still have motility problems so I jam more food into just for the sake of getting it in there???? I know the critical care has good things a sick pig needs but she's not pooping normally yet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:54 am

Mel, if you read the preivous posts you'll see she's gaining weight. She normally weighs just under a lb. She did weigh 1.1 lbs and popped up to 2.0. She weighed 2 at the vets yesterday and this am was just under. It's not an issue of weight loss.
You have no idea if she is gaining or not. You can't make this statement.

Personally I would feed the Critical Care. She is still ill and struggling. I know people who feel it really gives them an edge -- very nutritious and has lots of extra good things.

Because of the strange fluctuations in weight, you really have no idea where she is.

Cara

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:29 am

Yes I can make this statement. When she weighs .8 lbs for her entire adult life and goes up ti 1.1 lbs, that's a weight gain. I know there have been fluctations in weight but that's a weight gain. I'll feed the critical care. I am so tired and so worried and probably making this much worse than it is but after losing Sable to bloat I am so worried that it will happen to Zipper. I guess as long as poop is coming out in whatever form it'll be ok to feed the critical care.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:15 am

Oh Cara, what a struggle you have had! Poor Zipper, and I totally understand the raw nerve endings.

Here is the way I see it. She is getting things to help her motility, so she should be able to poop ok now. I understand your concern with bloat, thank God that is something I've never been through.

OK, so the Critical Care is the BEST POSSIBLE food you can get into her. Ounce for ounce, it has more and better nutrition that anything else she will eat on her own.

It will most likely firm up her poops. If I am ever able to even get 10 cc's a day into a pig, they have been saved.

Since her weight gain is due to air, extra fluid, and other abnormal things, my guess would be that she still needs terrific nutrition.

Critical care has that. So although she is now afraid of you, she will calm down. She needs to get into her system the things that the CC has in it, the probiotics, fiber, vitamins, etc.

I know it means a ton of extra stress, but he way I see it, if she is on this many meds, she needs all the nutrition she can get. Oh, and one more thing. The Critical care has things in it to ward off dehydration.

Take care, ok? Prayers are being said on this end.

Cara

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:25 am

thanks, I'll get as much into her as I can over lunchtime.

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:21 pm

When she weighs .8 lbs for her entire adult life and goes up ti 1.1 lbs, that's a weight gain.

No, not always. I agree with Kleenmama. The additional weight is probably caused by the fluids she is retaining due to her heart problems. She is weighing more on the scale, but if it's fluids, it doesn't really count as a real weight gain, as in gaining fat and muscle. I would still handfeed her Critical Care. It can only help.

I hope she keeps improving.