Popcorning -- How High Do They Go?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:26 am

In my dream last night, I watched a pig popcorn five feet into the air. This convinced me (or my dream self) that I have actually never seen a pig popcorn.

So how high do they really go?

Sunny

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:27 am

When Spot and Fido were younger - 2 to 3 months - they would go as high as 10 inches off the ground. ALL FOUR FEET! It´s the funniest thing ever! When we got Spot I thought maybe we got a pig with epilepsy or some other problem... except that he seemed so happy. The vet confirmed it´s a happy thing.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:28 am

Lynx - I love that you dream about your pigs. (I do too).

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:19 am

They should have piggy olympics with popcorning as one of the events! I think my piggy could be a real contender! When he gets going, boy, can he jump! I don´t have any exact measurements, but it looks pretty high to me!

Laura823

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:52 am

I don´t know specific mesurements, but I know Piglet sometimes came pretty close to hitting the ceiling of her old cage (which was about 12" high). I haven´t seen her do that in a long time...now her feet hardly ever leave the floor. Lazy pig.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:30 pm

I don´t think Steve could get that high if he tried. Jules, maybe. He´s younger and more athletic.

I was going to say no more than 6 inches. I don´t know what you ppl have been feeding your pigs - springs?

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:08 pm

My pig usually runs really fast first, then leaps forward about 5 inches from starting point, but when he lands from his leap, he barely touches the floor when POP! He goes about 7 or 8 inches into the air. My mother almost choked laughing at him lastnight. It was the first time she´d seen him do anything like that.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:10 pm

And no, Ravenshade, I just feed mine pellets, Healthy Bits (c/o Wal Mart), and veggies and fruit...no springs. Maybe it´s intestinal gas that makes them spring so high. Anything that eats so many vegetables can´t help but get gas.

CAT

Post   » Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:04 pm

How about synchronized popcorning for the pig olympics? Mine love to popcorn together, I think once one starts it is catching! Mine go about4-5 inches in the air, but I think the best part is when they twist their little bodies at the same time. Sox likes to dip his head down and to one side as low as possible, then spring into the air doing a sort of half roll - my husband and I laugh and clap at him and then he starts running in laps of the cage and squeaking at the top of his voice. We often do a ´sports commentary´ for them e.g. "...a perfectly executed double back flip with a half forward roll - difficulty 7...". I am convinced that the squeaking during and after popcorning sessions is the pig form of laughter!

CAT

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:33 pm

I do think you can encourage them by talking it up. They seem to get little twitches of excitement that are almost involuntary.

mon

Post   » Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:22 am

Mine don´t usually get very far off the ground, must be cause they´re fat!

Sunny

Post   » Thu Mar 07, 2002 10:08 am

Lynx, I´ve also found that talking to them gets them more excited too. If I just watch them, they just watch me back, but if I get down on my hands and knees and tell them what funny, crazy, handsome guys they are, they get those little twitches of excitement - like they are about to come out of their skin with happiness.

Damn, they´re cute.