Baytril (enrofloxacin) Primer

Christal

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:08 pm

Oh no another Hooting pig!

Sue222

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:47 pm

Josephine, Re: the following in your post - I forgot to add that Baytril doesn´t penetrate pus. With pus, it needs to be cleaned out/away if possible regularly if Baytril is used or use chloromphenicol instead.

Our piggie has been on Baytril for a while now (on and off for a couple of months). Had an eye removed as well as a tooth that was loose - nasty abcess behind the eye was cleaned out and continued with Baytril. The pus has recurred everytime we discontinue Baytril (twice now). We have taken him in and they have gotten some of the new pus out but I doubt have cleaned it out very well (they take him away so we don't see what they've done and do not use anesthesia). He is eating well, happy (basically back to his old self) and has lots of energy, etc. - eats pellets, hay (alfalfa - he doesn't eat much timothy hay) and veggies...and has gained a considerable amount of weight. After reading your post, I'm wondering if Baytril will ever clear this up. The pus is thick and nasty stuff. They cultured the pus and kept him on Baytril several weeks ago. This week they re-cultured when the wound where his eye was re-opened due to pressure from the abcess. We are waiting for the results. If nothing has changed, does it make sense for us to ask to switch to chloromphenicol?

Thanks for any advice!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:53 pm

Perhaps. I know it is a tricky area to put a drain in, although most abscesses should have them--no matter what. If the pus is not regularly removed, the infection will not be cured.

It does sound like an antibiotic change may be your best bet.
Chloro will work, but has more side effects. Just monitor your pig really well.

Sue222

Post   » Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:11 am

Thank you so much for this information! I don't spend a lot of time on the computer due to back problems and was looking for something else on the site when I happened upon this thread. I am going to call our vet and discuss this today. I had almost reached the point where I thought our situation was either hopeless or that our piggie would be on Baytril for the rest of his life (poor little guy HATES the Baytril suspension - starts gagging as soon as he smells it, even before I've put the syringe in his mouth). Thanks again!

pinta

Post   » Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:45 am

Baytril also comes in pills which is what I use for dosing. I cut the pills up and shove the section to the back molars. Up here we can get small 50MG pills which I quarter.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:51 am

My pigs have gotten Baytril in a Hershy's Strawberry Syrup suspension. Tastes way better and they don't fight it.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:35 pm

My stepfather's rabbit is on Baytril for a URI. He crushes it up and puts it in some pumpkin with 1 cc of Benebac.

When she stopped eating it that way, he crushed it up, put it in some yogurt, and sandwiched it between two banana coins. She is eating this now.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:32 pm

Probiotics should be given two hours after the antibiotics. Otherwise, it's pretty useless.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:58 pm

Yes, I would love it if they would listen to me on that. He didn't want to give it at all. They're really set in their ways.

To make matters worse, their vet said that you could give the Benebac with the Baytril. So that's what they're doing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:06 pm

Logically one would think giving it a few hours before or after would be more effective. I do think a product like Benebac could be given several times during the day with no ill effects. Something like using acidophilous -- you can't really overdose -- it just passes through you. One only hopes some sticks.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:44 pm

That's what I do with Billy Bob. He gets some Probiotin about 2 hours after the Bactrim, and then when I am soaking his feet I keep him busy by hand-feeding him blueberries with acidophilous powder sprinkled in them. Oh no, he's not spoiled at all.

But my parents are from the old school of rodent-keeping. They usually pack the antibiotic right into some pina colada yogurt. They give pineapple for G.I. Stasis and Pumpkin for diarrhea. *sigh*

The only reason their bunny is getting benebac this time is because I was the one who took her to the vet. They fought me on it, though.

Still, although they do lose some to G.I. problems, many of their rabbits have lived to a ripe old age.

Pamela Hammond

Post   » Tue May 13, 2003 9:39 am

Morris was on baytril for about 8 days, when he suddenly went from a charming, docile pet to a psychotic animal. He was hypersensitive to touch and would race around his cage, dig wildly into the corners, crash into his toys, pull the water bottle out, and then jump straight up trying to escape his box. He nearly did, and it's about 12-14 inches high. I put the cover on his box, and that seemed to calm him down a little, and we're now off the drug and waiting for him to come down. Yes, baytril will cause severe reactions, even in a g. pig! Good news--he did not bite, but he nearly had a heart attack and so did I.