Flying with pigs

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:57 pm

"We had an adopter say she flew her pig from NC to CA on Delta. They allowed her to carry the pig in a carrier onboard with them."

To the best of my knowledge, Delta is the only major carrier left that will allow them onboard, in the cabin. If America West will do it too, that's good news.

Delta's rules are 1) FAA-approved carrier; 2) two to a carrier; 3) must fit under seat in front of you; 4) flat $75 fee. You have to take them out to walk through the x-ray machine.

For more details email Godotgonzales on this forum.

The problem with the heated and pressurized cargo area is that it's pitch dark and they are subject to extreme bumping and vibration that you're somewhat insulated from in the cabin. Plus they can get lost, just like your luggage.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:17 am

Here I am revisiting this issue yet again. The 5 feet of snow in the mountains of California is freaking me out.

I'm looking at this place as a possibility for shipping my animals. They claim to specialize in exotic animals. Has anybody ever heard of them? I'm so, so nervous about this. I'll never forgive myself if something happens to them. I'm moving three cats too.

katk925
Do the Dewlap in '05

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:21 am

All I know is this.

A friend of mine in high school got really interested in snakes, so he ordered some online. They used a "reputable" animal shipping service. The snakes arrived in a brown box in plastic disposable deli cups. This was considered normal.

~kat

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:26 am

That's how the small animals usually arrive in pet stores, packed tight in cardboard and styrofoam.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:52 am

Ugh! Well, I'm certainly going to be asking them a lot of questions when I talk to them on the phone...

This company is a member of the BBB, which is good, I think...

How do people get their animals to other countries when the move? Surely there's a good shipping place somewhere...?

katk925
Do the Dewlap in '05

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:06 am

Most times they dont take their animals. The best people place them in good homes, some in bad homes, some in shelters. Thats how that pig got to Castaic in the Placement Forum.

~kat

Pigglies

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:16 am

Those plastic snake containers I remember seeing at reptile shows as well. That way people could fit a lot of "product" on their table.

katk925
Do the Dewlap in '05

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:35 am

I remember seeing them in the deli filled with cole slaw so they could keep product fresh on their shelves. You think it would keep a guinea pig fresh?

~kat

Pigglies

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:49 am

You'd have to chop up the pig so it would fit.

katk925
Do the Dewlap in '05

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:52 am

What if I got a pint or liter size?

~kat

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:15 am

Chii, is there another route you can take that would avoid the area you're concerned about? My gut tells me to stay a million miles away from that "transport service".

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:51 am

Yes, I think there's probably a safe way to go, but Zac pointed out to me last night that we'd be in trouble should we get broken down or some such. I already knew that, but it's getting scary since this move is becoming more real.

What would you suggest taking along in terms of supplies in case of an emergency such as breaking down in the middle of winter in the snow?