Steam bath for pig with URI??

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:49 pm

One of the pigs I pulled from the Memphis Animal Shelter has a pretty bad URI. He was started on Sulfatrim the same day I brought him home, but he didn't seem to be getting any better so we visited the vet today. She said his lungs are fine but he has lots of congestion in his head which is why he sounds and looks so horrible especially after he gets handfed (they are both terribly underweight and not eating well on their own). She said to continue the Sulfatrim and put him in a steamed up bathroom several times a day to help open up his airway. I've done that twice and he does seem to eat more after, but I am concerned if the extreme temp changes from steamed up bathroom to cooler house is good for him. Have you guys ever done this to help your pigs with stuffy noses?

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:26 pm

A few people here have built their own nebulizing chambers. Try doing a search for "nebulizer" (spelling?) with Purrie as the poster. She posted pictures and instructions, a while ago.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:52 pm

A sick animal can benefit from a warmer room. After steaming, maybe make sure the room is 75 or warmer.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:12 am

I can raise the temp in the house. These guys are heading out on a piggy train Sunday to a guinea pig rescue in Knoxville, that is if I don't win the lottery (I bought 5 tickets today). If I suddenly come into money Simba and Nala will stay here and I will build him nebulizer.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:23 pm

Good luck in the lottery!

Our vet has told us also to take hot showers with them in the bathroom if congested. I'm with Lynx; afterward, make sure the dry room is a little warmer than usual, or maybe cool him gradually using a hot water bottle or heating pad under or near his cage.

The plastic "Snuggle Safe" pads are great, too.

pinta

Post   » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:36 am

I use a steam humidifier that I set up right by the condo. I put towels over the top of the cage and drape them in such a way the steam is directed into the cage.

melcvt00

Post   » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:25 am

Pinta does what I do. I add Vicks Vapo Steam to the water, too. 30 minutes in the carrier at a time. I've done it 4 times in one day.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:38 pm

Great idea pinta and melcvt00! I'll remember that for future use. Unfortunately, I just returned from taking this guy to Nashville on the first leg of his trip to a rescue in Knoxville. I'm still bummed. How can you fall in love so quickly with these creatures? I knew when I pulled him that I could not keep him. I figured all I had to do was quarantine, feed and clean up until they moved on. I didn't expect them to be so thin and sick, didn't know I would need to handfeed for 5 days, and check on them several times day and night to be sure they were still OK (they were in my bedroom so every cough or sneeze had me out of bed checking). I've been home for an hour and still can't go back to my bedroom and look at their empty cage....

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:34 pm

I think the hardest thing is sometimes feeling helpless. I hope these guys improve for you. It is so sad to struggle with illnesses.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:38 am

We use a nebulizer and a chamber made out of a pigloo. It just sits on the counter, and we leave the pig in there with the holes taped off for about five minutes. The solution is sterile saline with a few drops of Albuterol Sulfate.

10 posts • Page 1 of 1