Mucas on Cavies face?

Downhme28

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:11 pm

Help, what does it mean when there is mucas on a guinea pigs face? They all appear to be fine? The only one who is acting funny is Ginger, who had it all over her face, it looks to be like she sneezed on the other pigs. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Alfie

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:15 pm

Mucous would generally indicate an upper respiratory infection (URI). URIs can kill cavies very quickly, and they generally don´t show any symptoms until it is advanced.

You should take Ginger to the vet ASAP and have her treated with a non-penicillin-based antibiotic (penicillin is toxic to cavies). I haven´t any experience with URI meds - perhaps someone else can suggest? (Baytril?)

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:17 pm

You mean mucus? No, not normal at all. It sounds like a URI, in which case you´ll need to vosot your vet ASAP. I mean really, really soon. Like tomorrow.

Pigs go downhill very fast and it gives you very little time to react. At the top of this page, you´ll find a link to safe meds. Remember ALL penicillin products are toxic to pigs. Print that list and bring it with you to double check.

Do you have a vet? If not, you need one now, one that is experienced with guinea pigs.

Are your pigs eating ok? How old are they? How are they "acting funny"?

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:19 pm

Alfie-It depends how old Ginger is. Baytril is not safe for young pigs. Bactrim, Doxycycline or Chloramphenicol could work.

Alfie

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:21 pm

Ah, thanks E. I get confused between Baytril and Bactrim.

Downhme28

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:23 pm

I bought the two babies from a breeder in Shelton, and they are very healthy is uri´s contagious? Ginger was a rescue.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:25 pm

URIs are often contagious, yes.

Huh? Is she froma breeder or is she a rescue?

I need anwers to my questions (the post above) if you want me to help you.

Alfie

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:27 pm

Yes, URIs are contagious.

A sick pig will often appear to be completely healthy (as they are prey animals, they have to disguise illness to prevent being picked off by predators), which is why you should take any pig that is "acting funny" for treatment.

Downhme28

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:28 pm

Ginger is a rescue. The other two I bought from a breeder at the Shelton Cavy Show. I am in process of seperating the three sows, now.

Alfie

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:31 pm

I think Evangeline was referring to the other questions which still need answers:

Do you have a vet?
Are your pigs eating ok?
How old are they?
How are they "acting funny"?
Last edited by Alfie on Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:32 pm

But are they eating? Driking enough to keep them hydrated? Pooping and peeing right? Have they lost weight? If yes, how many ounces? How old are they? You said they acted funny. Please explain.

Downhme28

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:42 pm

Eating fine, no loss of weight, drinking normal, just checked cage poop is normal too. Have no idea how old Ginger is, was a rescue. The babies were born in December. Ginger is jumping all over the place, no trouble breathing just acting very excitable which is not normal for her. I have only had them all since the 10th of this month.