Petfinder.com

lisam

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:15 pm

I've used this to send to teachers before.

Joanna

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:32 pm

This is all very helpful to me as I have had a highschool teacher contact me about having pigs in her room. The temperature questions are good and of course where they'll be on weekends. I am wondering if I should foster to her first. That might be an option. I plan to check out the school as well. I am a teacher and have brought the odd animal in to visit. I do think it's good for children to see that many pigs are unwanted. I'll forward her some of the questions her. Glad I popped in!

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:45 pm

Lisam, we do send that. But I haven't had success with it dissuading anyone. And what's worse, some people seem to latch on to this:

Where will the classroom pet be obtained? The pet should be adopted or rescued, not purchased from a pet store or breeder.

to signify that they are actually doing a good deed, and how dare I question that?

I will come up with an improved approach. I fear that article may make teachers think that it is "theoretically possible" to provide a good environment for a guinea pig in the classroom. I don't want to see that practice legitimized any further, because I believe that inherently it is unhealthy for an animal to live in a classroom.

cacosta

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:46 pm

I don't think I've heard of any guinea pigs in my son's school. I know they had a few hamsters and I didn't feel that was the right place for those either. I also remember a few teachers having fish tanks but they were taken to their homes during summer break.

I'm hoping that maybe having live animals in the classroom idea is starting to die down. I would like the kids to know that you can adopt from a rescue rather than a pet store, but I'm not sure living in a school is the best place for the piggies. I would be worried leaving them overnight let alone leaving them there all weekend.

My son had some friends over this weekend and one of the boys asked my son why we only had boy guinea pigs in our house. He wanted to know if I didn't like baby pigs and my son gave him the whole "breeding is bad" speech. I was so proud.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:37 pm

Teachers pride themselves on being intellectually superior (whether or not they are)

Oh, haven't heard that one yet.

lisam

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:46 pm

I will come up with an improved approach.

Hey Chary, when you come up with it, will you share it with me? Will you write out a document? It would be nice to post it here somewhere.

Pigglies

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:31 am

Right now teacher's who email have a classroom guinea pig that just died... so it didn't last since September. I guess in September I have even more classroom pet emails to look forward to?

The main emails right now I seem to be getting are, "I want babies!" No clue why, but I've been getting a lot of those inquiries.

13guineapigs

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:04 pm

I got my petfinder website. Now I just got to set it all up.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:27 pm

Holly, I had a feeling someone would be irked by that.

Teachers are there to nurture and educate-- and to tell them that an animal might suffer in their classroom is an injury to that image. By far the angriest replies I have received are from teachers who take my speech on "why guinea pigs don't belong in the classroom" to mean that they are personally irresponsible people.

Let's not impute any teacher-hating into this. We all know that guinea pigs suffer in classrooms and that teachers need to recognize this but they are so difficult to deal with that I stopped explaining it.

I think what has to be done is to explain it so that the teacher sees it as a credit to themselves if they abstain from bringing a guinea pig into the classroom. Appeal to their humanitarian side rather than seem like we are instructing them. I'll get on it when I have time.

Joanna

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:43 pm

I am a teacher and I am not ofended by anything said. I helped a teacher find some pigs once as they were going to be her pets and she was going to take them into the classroom once in a while to discuss the overpopulation problem. I actually took some in yesterday as their adopters were picking them up.

I recently had a request from Biology teachers wanting to house pigs in an aquarium. I have yet to reply. Many of my colleagues do think they know everything, and I wouldn't trust any at my school with any of my pigs! They just don't get it! I agree that appealing to the humanitarian side is the way to go. I'll try that when I reject the Biology teacher.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:02 pm

I think a teacher who occasionally shares her own pets is the best way to incorporate guinea pigs into the classroom. They're more likely to get good care and medical help when needed.

Brianna
Forum Fan Club

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:52 pm

My son had 2 pairs of pigs in his 3rd grade class. Of course, because the kids liked the pigs in the class, some of the parent bought them their own. Spring and Fall came to me in the middle of the school year because the mom was tired of taking care of them. I then got Marshmallow and Ginger (one pair of class pigs) at the end of the school year. I really wonder what happened to the other pair. They were awesome pigs.
While I completely loved the teacher, I learned bad habits from her regarding caring for the pigs (ie. no hay). Thank God I researched the internet and found GL.

That's my long story, but I do agree to not have classroom pets.