Petfinder.com

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:53 pm

Absolutely great letter. I think I would add something some where in the medical costs area:

"Because teaching our children about responsible pet ownership is so important, it is essential to know the signs of illness and seek treatment when required."

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:16 pm

Becky, I sent that letter to you in an email for you to review, and you said nothing back to me except that it was "polite." but that you were not sure it was the "best approach." And that was all. Apparently you were saving your attack for a more public place.

All in all, I think Becky's letter is a good one, and Pigglies I think you should use it and see if that softens some of the replies.

E, a personal attack against you isn't possible, because you're more of a predatory, cold-blooded reptile who bludgeons people on the internet, probably because of either low self-esteem (that's usually the case with bullies), or because you are a true sociopath who delights in hacking people up because it makes you feel good. After 2 years on these forums I have never seen you show one drop of human empathy, so I'm going to draw the obvious conclusion.

Pigglies

Post   » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:18 pm

Yes, I'll try it and see what results I get. Thanks Becky!

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:00 pm

Nicely done, Chary. *claps clap clap*
So Becky attacks you, I attack you, everyone is out to get you, and I'm a sociopath because I think you're pissing people off often than you realise. And I am crazy?

My posts in this thread were all very calm and, believe it or not, they were not made in an angry way at all. I really can't help it if you're interpreting them this way and, honnestly, I don't think you're being too rational, right now.

You seriously need to calm down.

Pigglies

Post   » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:13 pm

Hey, I tried your letter Becky... and I was shocked. The reply came back as a thank you for educating her on exotics. She seemed disappointed that she hadn't found the perfect classroom pet with guinea pigs, but I didn't get yelled at in her response.

Yay!

13guineapigs

Post   » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:52 am

I was on Petfinder and I found a rescue called PoWeR HeART rescue in IL. If you go to their main web site you will find out what they really are......breeders. Check it out.

http://powerandheartratteryrescuerehab.org/

13guineapigs

Post   » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:57 am

How did they get on Petfinder? You don't buy rats and other small animals you adopt them, isn't that nice?

Pigglies

Post   » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:03 am

You should report them to Petfinder. I saw a rabbit breeder on there once and reported it, I think they are gone now.

They claimed to be a rescue because they took back rabbits people wanted to give up. And they'd adopt them out for free, but support the "rescue" by breeding. All of that was right on their Petfinder page. Enough to get them banned.

13guineapigs

Post   » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:08 am

I already did, but I think it would help if others also reported it. Strength in numbers.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:12 am

They post on a rodent rescue list I'm a member of, lots of people post on there that the operation is a bit shady for a few reasons(infact, it was just this week). However, most rat rescuers also breed - really makes no sense but when I was searching for a second rat it was a huge problem I ran into with every person I contacted. I finally found a strict rescue that didn't breed...FINALLY.

13guineapigs

Post   » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:41 am

I did report it on 2/11 but nothing has happened. Anyone who has a free moment please contact petfinder and let them know what you think. Like I said there is power in numbers. They cannot ignore all of us. I am going to report it again as well. Gee won't that be nice if breeders start using petfinder? We don't want that to happen so please help.

Check out their adoptable pets most of them are babies. They had a pregnant guinea pig last week but she is not listed anymore.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:49 pm

Removed from Wiki and added here:

Classroom
Resources and information about having guinea pigs in a classroom environment. Advice from teachers who have had pigs in the classroom, a rescue's stance, and other views.

Twin Cities Guinea Pig Rescue on Guinea Pigs in the Classroom (Allysse Henry):

At first, cavies may seem like the perfect classroom pet. They have low to no odor, can be cuddled easily, and rarely bite. However, there are a number of reasons why a guinea pig isn't the perfect classroom pet - not even close. This article is mainly for teachers who are thinking about having guinea pigs as a classroom pet, but it also provides information for parents and educators who know of guinea pigs in classroom environments.

The first issue with having a guinea pig in the classroom is that guinea pigs don't like to be alone for long periods of time. They enjoy both human and other cavy interaction, even at the same time. Classrooms are usually empty from about 4 pm to 8 am during the week, and more than 48 hours on weekends. That is a long time to be sitting in a dark, small space alone. Even if they had a buddy, they are still missing the human interaction.

Solutions for these gaps of time where humans are not present may seem to have easy answers. "I'll take them home on the weekends", or worse "The students can bring them home on the weekends". There are also breaks and summer vacations to think about. The truth is, these solutions would be much too stressful for these already delicate creatures.

Anyone who has successfully owned guinea pigs knows that you can't stick a guinea pig in a manufactured cage commonly found at pet stores. The popular site cavycages.com shows that guinea pigs require 7.5 sq. ft. minimally; roughly taking up an entire countertop or medium sized table. For a small classroom, that's a lot of space to dedicate to the class pet.

I guarantee the expenses will amount. When fed properly, a special diet that could cost more than dog food per week, and undoubtedly many times messier. Food bowls, water bottles, etc. are usually a one time purchase. But toys, food, and bedding are regular purchases. The most expensive of all will be vet care, and as seen on guinealynx.info, guinea pigs can have an immensely wide variety of illnesses and ailments.
And finally, one of the top reasons people want to give up their guinea pig is because of allergies. What are the odds that not one student will have allergies in the five to seven year lifespan of a guinea pig? To add to those odds, children can be allergic to the hay or bedding that guinea pigs need. Just because none of the students have allergies this year doesn't mean next year's class won't. Allergies are a huge concern.

Hopefully this article will have provided a brief overview of why guinea pigs don't make good classroom pets. I'd encourage anyone thinking about having guinea pigs in the classroom to research it more in depth. These great links will go more in depth about specific concerns: