Correct Lasix dosage

Cara

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:31 pm

OK, will do. Yes, you're right, I see the dropper. Just tired.
Thank you.

Cara

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:33 pm

One last question, bout how long does it take a pig with motility troubles to return to normal or at least where they can eat a decent amount of food?

pinta

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:59 pm

Could take 2 or 3 days for all the food to work thru their system.

Cara

Post   » Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:26 pm

We went back to the vet yesterday. He didn't feel she was too dehydrated but he gave her about 20-30 ml of fluids. He also gave me an appetite stimulant, Cyproheptadine, to give her every 12 hours. He said to forget the Critical Care the risks out weigh the benefits at this point. I wish I'd have known simethicone wasn't a perscription drug when I went to get the Beano. I told him I'd given her the Beano and he said the simethicone would be much better. I do feel it's working. Her sides aren't as distended and she begged for food today, ate celery, tomato, and a bit of pepper. I also caught her eating pellets. She's getting 5 different medications. Poor girl absolutely hates me. She runs with I come into the room but I do feel much better about her now. I think she'll be fine. I know it will take a few days. This vet is so awesome, he didn't even charge me for the visit, just for the meds and the fluids and it was an emergency visit. Thanks for all of your help.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:01 pm

I wish I could tell you something useful, Cara. It's good to hear she's doing better.

lisam

Post   » Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:11 pm

Cyproheptadine? That is so interesting. That is what I give my mare for Cushing's. 1 cc daily for life.

I'm glad you have a good outlook. Isn't it wonderful when you find a vet you trust?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:14 pm

We use it in cats a lot for appetite stimulation.

lisam

Post   » Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:31 pm

How is she doing today?

Cara

Post   » Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:56 pm

lisam, she ate parsley, a bit of cucumber (I know it's gassy but with the simethicone, I figured it's food in her system), and carrot for breakfast. I haven't been home but a quickie at lunch to give her the lasix and she was eating hay. I do think her breathing is much better. I also think the simethicone really helped her greatly. The gas is getting out of her system and she's more active. I gave her floor time last night and she didn't stray too far from Rob but she did wander about a bit. She likes the simethicone, the only thing she doesn't fight! She chews on the syrgine trying to eat it too. I am so thankful my vet said I don't know, go to this person. I truly think she might not have made it had I not gone to Dr. Fisher. What a wonderful man. Thanks for asking!

Jill

Post   » Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:20 pm

Glad to hear she is doing better, Cara.

Cara

Post   » Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:16 pm

Ok, update from being at the vet's... He said he was pleased with how she's doing. He took her off the propulsid and I had already taken her off of the appetite stimulant. Her weight is steady though she lost a bit from the last visit but as I said before she weighs more now that she's been sick that before. She is on the lasix every 12 hours and the enecard every 24 hours. I am wondering about the simethicone. I still have her on it. 0.5 cc's every 12 hours. Can I do her harm by having her on it for so long. It's been a week and a few days now. She still gets distended if she doesn't get it. Her breathing is still noticable but better. We are going back to the vet next Fri. for another round of x-rays. Her poops are still mushy but the vet said he wasn't too worried, they shsould improve as stuff moves through on its own.

pinta

Post   » Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:05 pm

If she gets distended without the Simethicone, I would leave her on it.

I can't remember the dosing offhand but as long as your vet has okayed what you are giving her you should be fine.

I think Seansfamily had Sean on it longterm, but I'm not sure.