Cavy/Human Communication

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:21 pm

I always know when Louie is sicker than he looks because he won't lick my finger when I go to pet him. He usually loves to give piggie kisses and when he denies to do so, I know something is wrong.

Louie tells me he has to pee when he gets very squirrely while sitting on my lap or sleeping with me. He let's me know when he needs to go back to his cage to do his thing.

I can't really explain it but I can tell if he is content or mad just by the look in his eyes and the way he holds his head.

Huey, I have no idea what he says because he is such a spaz and Chewie is always content with anything I do, even clipping his nails so he's hard to read, too.

But Louie just has that personality that you can read well. He is a smart pig and will let you know it.

pinta

Post   » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:57 pm

Pigs can be very manipulative. Bliss(a skinny) knew full well she had had her critter berry ration for the day since I kept telling her "no, go home" and shoving her out of the way with my foot. Still she kept harassing me by begging and putting her paws on my feet to get my attention. Finally she went back to the condo in the kitchen but promptly returned with Gretchen(another skinny) in tow. They made a beeline for me and Bliss hung back so Gretchen could do the begging.

Bliss knows if one pig gets a treat, anyone at my feet gets one too. I am pretty sure her intent was to use Gretchen to get a treat. I am also sure the only reason she went to the condo was to get Gretchen so she could use her.

However, Gretchen had been out earlier in the day and received her treat ration, so they were both told to "no, go home" and shoved out of the way with my foot.

This is more manipulation than communication but she had to have had the "rules" communicated to her in order to plot to get around them.

I've noticed both of the young skinnies(one year old and 14 months old)are incredibly outgoing and intelligent. Heart the older skinny (who has seen bad times) is shy and prefers to stay in the safety of the condo so it's hard to get a measure of her intelligence or communication skills.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:56 pm

It seems to me communication can happen overnight. When I've gotten new pigs they are stand offish or distant for a very long time then in the blink of an eye they admit to knowing you and it all changes. It hasn't seemed very gradual.

The only exception to this was Mickey who was on his own in a park. He was apprecitive from the very beginning. He will actually sleep out in the open. Wooly too. She was sick from a petstore. Maybe the sick ones know they've received a second chance.

Winnipeg

Post   » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:33 pm

Thy're all so different... A female piggy (Beast) I had a long time ago was a very affectionate creature and liked everyone, as long as it was an animal. She lived with a very small kitten (almost half her size) and practically mothered it. The kitten and she were both pretty upset when we separated them, just in case.

Winnipeg is more of a "leave me alone, I've got food to eat" type, but she is very smart-- recognises me after a long absence, let me play with her babies (knowing that I won't hurt them) and can be very sweet if she senses that I need it.

Batman... He's the most physically affectionate little swine I've ever seen. Perhaps because he hasn't been touched much earlier in life (I've only met him recently, after he knocked up Winnipeg), he loves human company and actually asks for it.

SquirrelsMom

Post   » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:58 pm

My little guys never cease to amaze me. I know pigs are generally thought to be simpleminded critters, but I have my doubts about that. I suspect they know far more than they let on.

Pipkin (my black and gray agouti abby) is by far my most interactive and vocal pig. He's a "blooper"--walks around saying "bloop bloop bloop" very softly when he's happy. He's my "inspector," who insists on checking out everything I do to the cage WHILE I'M DOING IT. Often have to brush a piggie nose aside while I'm sweeping up in the morning, to which he answers, "bloop bloop bloop." He also growls (r-rr-rrr-rr-rr) and purrs (cr-r-cr--rrrr)when he's being petted--they sound very similar and the difference is often just body language. Finally, Pipkin is low man on my three-boar totem pole, so he's got whining down pat. Squirrel walks up to him to remind Pip who's boss, and there it is...whine, whine, whine! It's a high-pitched squeaking but very low in volume, and quite sustained, as though he's saying, "I know I'm nothing! Don't hurt me!"

Squirrel is usually content to go away after a few whines, but occasionally, if he gives a tiny nip to remind everybody who's boss, Pip will give a louder, indignant squeak that ends on a decided down note (think, "Well, I NEVER!") and then popcorns away in what I've come to call the "Pi**y pop." It's not a happy popcorn--it's an annoyed popcorn. The boys do it only when they're arguing--I'm holding out on them, cleaning rather than giving them veggies, for instance. It looks different than a real popcorn, but it's definitely a hop up into the air and a wriggle.

Has anybody else noticed the Pi**y Pop?

Squirrel, my blonde American, is my designated wheeker--an ear-splitter. He's also the dominant pig, although that took several months to sort out (also a separation from the other two for a few months). He's not terribly vocal other than begging, but he's expressive with body language and eyes. He's the most comfortable laptime snuggler--will settle in, hunker down, and yawn in my lap. Neither Pipkin nor Scootch do that.

Finally, Scootch has never liked me. :-( He's a gorgeous tricolor satin, and I got him at age 4 weeks, which one would think is plenty early enough to bond. But no. He initially bonded with the male in my household at the time, and that pattern continues to this day. In fact, despite the fact that I am Veggie Woman, Scootch runs every time he sees me. And if my fiance is holding him (something he tolerates) and I come anywhere near, he starts up with whining! As though he's afraid I'm going to eviscerate him right there on the futon. Silly pig. If I back off, the whining stops.

You'd think I abused him! Harrumph.

I love my boys to death and learning to communicate with them has been immensely rewarding.

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

Post   » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:09 pm

I have only ever had 2 pigs but they are so different from each other.

Orvis is a big talker, he talks to himself all the time as he walks around the cage, 'whenk-whenk-whenk-whenk-whenk' all day long. When you pick him up, he wants to tell you everything Nibbles did recently. So he says 'whenk-whenk-whenk-whenk' while you are holding him and you say "Is that what Nibbles did? Then what did he do?" so he knows you are paying attention. He purrs when you scratch behind his ears and the top of his nose.

Nibbles 'WHEEEEKS' as loud as he can every time he hears plastic, and then he chatters his teeth when you do something he doesn't like. That's pretty much it. He's kind of a scaredy pig. He freezes if scared, where Orvis is bossy and pushy and just head butts his way around.

lee

Post   » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:19 am

Theres Bob - who is the noisiest and who has the keenest hearing , if anything is remotely on offer hes up at the bars grabbing hold with his front paws and wheeking. Even if its just putting the bin bags out

Mr scruffy is altogether I different piggy he is the strong silent type and only makes one noise which is similar to a moped , a put put noise while doing a slow raindance with his back paws. This behavior baffles me but is really funny to watch. He has never wheek in his life but does stare at you intently

-JC-
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:59 am

A few days ago, I was cage cleaning. I cleaned the top level of the cage first, and tried to tempt the pigs up to it with some fresh veggies, to get them away from the lower level. They could smell the veggies, and I kept tapping the bowls and saying 'Veggies!', but because veggies are always usually given to them 'downstairs', they wouldn't go up. They didn't understand where the veggies could be. I picked them up and put them on the top level.

Blackberry picked up some lettuce and started munching, but Pepper just looked at the veggies, nosed at them but didn't pick any up, looked at me, ran down the ramp and started wheeking her head off, looking at me all the while. Blackberry stopped eating, followed Pepper down, and joined in, loudly.

I kept telling them 'Veggies! Go upstairs!', but they wouldn't budge or quieten down until the bowls had been moved to the lower level, in the proper place. I'm pretty sure I was interpreting what they meant, and I felt like it was the first time I'd really understood them trying to tell me something more complex than just 'Food, please!'. Fussy pigs.

LER

Post   » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:12 am

That is quite amusing. You are nicer than me - I would have just locked them up there with the veggies so I could finish cleaning. ;~)

-JC-
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:49 am

It was an excuse for me to take a break!

skooters mommy

Post   » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:37 am

My Skooter (RIP 2/4/05) always purred when he was showing me affection. He also purred to thank me for whatever I just did for him, whether it was feeding him or taking him out of his cage to give him floor time. This was his way to show his appreciation.

He also wheeked very loud when he wanted food! Sometimes in the morning he would actually wake me up because he knew it was time to eat. He was definitely on a schedule and knew exactly when it was time for different things--morning feeding, hay, afternoon feeding, lettuce. His stomach had an alarm!

I miss you Skooter.

Kellyjo

Post   » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:26 pm

One day I was sitting in my recliner and I saw a small shadow come down the hall, slowely. Its scared me, but it was Reece, he somehow pushed the door open. But he came right to me and stood up on his hind legs. They love to hear my voice and then start begging. Once I let him and Tusk out and they follwed me to the kitchen wheeking. I opened the fridge and they waited paitently for a treat.

My son and Reece are like brothers. My son plays video games and takes the boys out and puts them on his bed. He sits on the floor and leans on the bed, Reece comes to him and sits on his shoulder. Sometimes slides down my sons stomach, and seems to want to do it again, like a slide.

My Ella is lonely,she needs a friend. I let her call the boys names, but shes not allowed near them because their not fixed. Its funny though, if they talk to her she screams loudley, its funny, like there picking on her. Its a different wheek then her normal, when the boys are harrassing her.