Mounting Boars...

Sumerlei

Post   » Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:49 pm

My boar Alfie is approximately 6 months old. Alfie lives with Rum Tum, who is approximately 4 months old. Anyway, about a month ago Alfie started chasing Rum Tum around the cage and trying to mount him. When he wasn´t doing that, he was doing this little dance where it looked like he was shaking his butt. Now, I have only seen him do this dance when he gets near Rogue, my 6 month old sow, so I am assuming that Alfie´s attentions to Rum Tum are romantic.

Now, my question is, is this a phase? I did a search on CG and found that this behavior is normal and have not tried to stop it as it has not gotten violent and actually appears to have calmed down a bit. Alfie doesn´t try to mount but still makes the purring noise when Rum Tum gets near him and does the "booty dance." I was wondering if Rum Tum will start doing this when he reaches Alfie´s age, is it possible?

Thanks!

imanut4u

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2002 8:49 am

Pretty normal for boars 4-6 months to do the dance frequently. Couple things -- arousal and also determining rank; who is, or will be the alpha pig. As they age, the mounting and rumblestrutting (butt shaking & purring) will decrease a lot.

Still happens with my adult boars from time to time, but mostly when a sow (separate cage) is in heat or the alpha boar wants the other(s) to step away from the food dish.

Sumerlei

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2002 2:54 pm

That explains it! Then this probably will not be too evident with Rum Tum, then.

However, I will be building them a bigger cage in a few weeks, is it possible that the alpha pig could change? I´ve read about that happening. And they will be in the same cage with the sows, separated by a grid, of course, but, would that be likely to cause a lot of problems between the two boars?

lisam

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2002 3:16 pm

My feeling is that you never know until you try it. Every pig is different, and reacts differently. I have had to find new homes for two boars who could not fit in with my set-up. And yet Artoo and Luke were a perfect match, even with girls nearby.