question about mites and ivermectin

Herbie

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2002 3:10 pm

I´m thinking the dose may be too low. I have a similar problem myself - except Herbie gets so severe that he has seizures. I use oral dosages mixed with cherry syrup. He loves it so getting meds in him is no trouble. He´s 1 1/2 pounds and they recommend .07cc for him. He got severe again - so he´s back on the 3 doses 10 days apart.

I finally got my own bottle of Ivermectin today along with the syrup. $103.00 - that´s stuff isn´t cheap! But if it works it´s worth it! I plan on trying him on once a month to see if it helps.

I tried treating the whole herd - and that was also a bust. Herbie still gets them and I don´t know how or from where! It´s been driving me nuts for over a year.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2002 3:22 pm

Herbie-
0.7cc is not an accurate indication if you don´t also write the concentration of the Ivermectin you use. Are you using injectable Ivermectin? For what animal is it designed? Different kinds have different concentrations.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2002 4:59 pm

That is 5 times the recommended dose. I would not use it. There must be something else going on.

pigpal

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:55 pm

That´s either way overpriced or a HUGE bottle of Ivermectin! My bottle of 50ml 1% injectable only cost $35. Maybe it´s a different form of Ivermectin?

Herbie

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2002 5:08 pm

OK - I got the box - it´s ivomec - injection for cattle & swine - 50 ml made by merial. 1% sterile solution. The vet said I don´t need to mix it with anything - but the cherry syrup. The dose is .07cc

He said this is the only kind they´ve every used - so it´s what Herbie´s been getting.

Is that right? Or is there something I don´t know here?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2002 5:39 pm

I think we´re trying to tell you you were over charged. If you need to mix it with cherry syrup, what is the ratio you mix it at? Saying a dose is 0.07cc is not helpful unless you know the concentration in mg of the drug. It also doesn´t take into account the weight of the animal.

So, the ivomec injection undiluted has 10mg/cc. How much syrup are you adding?

Please read the dosing info at: https://www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/i ... .html#dose

It is clear and should explain what I am trying to get at.
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Mar 03, 2002 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2002 6:49 pm

Lynx-
I´m not sure, but I think she takes out .07cc and then adds syrup to it. I´m not sure, though.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2002 7:48 pm

Are there several brands of this stuff?? Mine is ULTRAMECTIN (Ivermectin) by RXV Products. It is 1% sterile solution for cattle and swine (injection.) It is also 50ml and I paid $45.00 for it. Sounds like the pricing for it is all over the board too!! I assume as long as it´s 1%, the brand doesn´t matter. Isn´t .07 of ivermectin only still high? I give my girls .02 or .03 they are all about 1100 grams.

As if this weren´t confusing enough!!

Kara

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2002 8:13 pm

Yes, 0.07 is high. You are much closer to a standard dose.

Herbie

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:14 am

Evangeline - you are right - that´s exactly what I do. I fill the syring with .07cc of Ivermectin, and then fill the rest of the syring with syrup. A little shake - and ready for Herbie.

Herbie has gotten 1cc of Ivermectin a few times - per Dr Quesenberry (sp).

As far as being over-charged - I figured I was - but since I wasn´t sure what kind to buy and didn´t want to get into mixing carrier oils, etc. it was easier to just have the vet order what they used. Now that I have the box, I´m sure if I ever need it again I can order it on-line. But this bottle will last a long long time........

Herbie

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:17 am

Cattle injectable ivermectin (which can be diluted and used orally) contains 10 mg/ml, meaning a 0.2 mg amount would be found in 2 hundredths of a ml. This amount would be difficult to accurately measure with commonly available syringes, but thoroughly mixing 9 ml propylene glycol with 1 ml of this form of ivermectin, results in a concentration of 1 mg/ml, a better solution for dosing. For example, a guinea pig weighing a kilo and requiring a 0.2mg dose of ivermectin, could be treated with 0.2 ml of the described solution (1 part injectable to 9 parts other).

This is the stuff - and this is what confuses me - am I supposed to mix this down?

Herbie

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:23 am

I´m more confused than ever