Correct Lasix dosage

Cara

Post   » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:33 pm

Ok, just didn't know and the vet did say to use it as needed. Thanks.

Cara

Post   » Fri Nov 29, 2002 4:04 pm

Back from vet's again. She's still losing ounces and the vet is worried but she's not below her pre-sick weight. She's eating hay, pellets and veggies like a pig so.... I'm not too concerned at this point. Took more x-rays, fluid is completely gone from her lungs, vet is dropping lasix to 0.1 cc's twice a day. I'm to try and wean her to the lowest dose possible of the simenthicone. She still gets distended without it. There was some gas in her belly on the xray. He gave me Bene-Bac for the mushy poops which are getting encrusted on everyone's feet. He pulled her right front pinky toenail off as he was trying to get crusted poop off. He put stypic powder and a little band-aid on it. Said it would grow back. He was very sorry. He wants to see her and Squeaky back together in about 8-10 days. He also said the simenthicone could be causing the ushy poops and he wasn't worried about using it on her long term.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 29, 2002 4:07 pm

Are you sure some of the mushy poops weren't spurs? That's kind of what they look like.

www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#spurs

Cara

Post   » Fri Nov 29, 2002 4:16 pm

Yes, the poops are encrusted to their toenails. None of my pigs have spurs but for Clarence, has one on the side of his front, left or right paw, can't remember which. Doesn't cause him any pain so vet said to leave it, there's nothing in his cage he could catch it on either. It's on the side so it doesn't hinder walking. Thanks for the link.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 29, 2002 4:36 pm

Maybe next time you could try soaking? I do that with all my dishes...

With an uncooperative pig, mineral oil might soften it up enough to get it off.

pinta

Post   » Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:38 am

Poppy is on Lasix for a suspected heart condition. I asked my vet if we should give her a lower dose than the 0.5cc daily she is getting(She weighs about a kilo) My vet said anything less than 0.5 cc would not have much of an effect.

Mind you, Josephine has weaned Antoine off Lasix. When I tried Poppy off lasix for a week, her hind feet swelled. Unfortunately treating heart conditions in pigs is uncharted territory, so you have to go by trial and error.

Watch for signs of infection in the paw. Heart pigs are very slow to heal and prone to infections.

Also you might still want to supplement by handfeeding. Once they lose weight it is very difficult to put it back on.

And you might want to try the Beano along with the Simethicone. The Beano helps digestion in the stomach(as far as I know) while Simethicone gets rid of gas in the intestines. One of my vets said they were safe to use at the same time.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Nov 30, 2002 11:14 pm

Pinta, I never HAD Antoine on Lasix. He didn't need it. He didn't retain fluid. I did SQ fluids, steroids, Enacard, antibiotics, and supportive force-feeding. Nothing else.

Interestingly enough, I have a suspected wave jaw pig right now with ear margin necrosis. I'm wondering if it is soley molar or if there could be heart involved. No fluid retention. I put her on Enacard to see. Molar xrays next week, hopefully.

Cara

Post   » Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:23 am

Zipper was only on 0.4 daily when this first started. She had her x-rays done on Fri. The fluid is gone from her lungs. I have notice her breathing is slightly more labored than normal, yesterday and this am. It doesn't take much at all, just me picking her up to get her huffing. I think the vet is trying to wean her off of it completely. We go back a week from Weds for another check-up. He said the simethicone was finelong term. I'll try adding the beano to it. The bene-bac is helping the poops, not normal yet but more firm.

pinta

Post   » Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:22 pm

J, I thought Antoine had been on Lasix considering he was given such a bad prognosis. Very impressive you turned him around without. I think you said you were weaning some other pigs off Lasix?

Cara - we've never been able to totally wean our heart pigs off Lasix. The most I could do was bring Bloom back to 0.5cc daily after she was on 0.5cc at noon and 0.25cc at midnight.

Poppy seems the most likely candidate to wean off Lasix but her feet definitely swell and ulcerate when she is off. But her lungs always sound dry. That's what makes it so hard when coming up with a treatment protocol - each pig seems really individualized when it comes to symptoms. One size does not seem to fit all. We won't even know for sure that Poppy does have heart problems until it's time for an autopsy.

Bloom we do know has heart problems since she was diagnosed when she went into heart failure. But that is a risky way to diagnose. If you aren't there when it happens, you can't help them which is why we are taking proactive action with Poppy. With her there are enough red flags (swollen feet when active, gradual inactivity, weight loss, heartbeat you can feel with you hands)to indicate treating for heart.

Cara

Post   » Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:38 pm

It is tricky and hearing about your heart pigs treatments worries me some with Zipper's treatment. She only gets 0.22 cc's daily of the lasix, 0.1 in am and 0.1 in the pm.

Do your pigs on Enacard get it once or twice daily? Zipper is on 0.2 cc in the am only. Her breathing is always labored but certainly better than before. I haven't noticed any swelling of her feet. Maybe she just has mild heart disease. I wonder if the Enacard were a higher dose if the breathing would be less labored. I will ask the vet next Weds. He says she is doing well. Do you know what happens if she gets too much Enacard?

I'll keep a special eye on the toe, it seems to be healing ok. No swelling that I've noticed.

I will ask for bloodwork every 6 months if she can't be weaned off of the lasix.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:15 pm

I don't remember about the Lasix on other pigs. I have used it in the past in emergencies and suspect edema.

Too much Enacard will cause low blood pressure. Lethargy. I don't think cavies faint.

Cara

Post   » Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:09 am

I gave her 0.25 cc of the enacard this am to see. My vet isn't in today so I can't check it with him. I have a feeling that a little more daily might help her breathing. Is enacard usually only given once a day rather than twice a day?