Maggots: Blowfly Strike--very serious, under vet care

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Dec 01, 2002 3:54 pm

I have noticed differences in wheeking. I have noticed it in my ill pigs or pigs that have recovered from a recent illness. Perhaps they can also go hoarse from wheeking or other laryngeal damage as do dogs?

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:35 pm

Yeah, most of my pigs I can tell who is screaming at me by the tone, and sick pigs do have a different sound.

Ollie is extremely loud, Buttercup is persistent, and Pebbles is higher pitched. Punkin is not loud, and has a really low pitched wheek. Seemee's is just air. Jackie's is very similar to Pebbles, I have a hard time telling those two apart. Angel is loud, high, and long.

I'm wondering on the ill pigs if it has something to do with slight dehydration? Or just weakness? I have no knowledge of dogs at all. Mine all bark just fine. Sigh.

Leslie V

Post   » Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:31 am

I want to thank everyone (especially Teresa!) for the concern and information regarding the rescue pig with blowfly strike. I'm happy to report that the piggy (Puddles) has survived thus far! Although she is still very thin and weak, she was brought home late Saturday afternoon apparently maggot-free. She's on antibiotics, of course, and a cream needs to be rubbed into her butt as well but hopefully she's well on the road to complete recovery. I will never forget her face when my Mom and I found her covered with flies. Her eyes were half closed and she was real weak but she still stretched her little head up toward our voices as if to say "Please help get me out of here, please!!!!" I'm so glad we were able to and thank you all again for your concern. I'll keep you posted!

leebee

Post   » Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:39 am

Oh Leslie, I'm so glad you were able to save her, and it's so great to hear an update! I was the one who saw her on Friday night - she is really beautiful and sweet. Poor thing.

Please keep us updated on her progress!

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:46 pm

I'm so glad you rescued her. There is no exscuse for maggots. The owner should be the one in jail. Poor piggy.

I'm glad you were able to find the resources and take action.

Why does the Bay Area seem to have an abundance of idiots?