Princess - Bladder Sludge and UTI

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:52 pm

Oh, good wishes for Princess! Thanks for the update, and I'll be checking back. I hope everything is uneventful.

ChadWPB

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:14 pm

The vet's office just called. Princess is fine and resting comfortably! We are picking our little girlie shortly.

We now have three spayed sows out of four.

lisam

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:38 pm

Glad she's alright. My vet called and my Caramel is doing fine, too. I pick her up at four.

Chad, have all three been spayed for reproductive problems?

ChadWPB

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:05 pm

Callie was spayed for ovarian follicles, Amee was spayed merely in order to live with unaltered Fuzzie. She was 8 months old at the time and my vet considered her an ideal candidate for the "preventive" spay (my vet has done lots of successful spays and is very confident).

Two out of three pigs were spayed medicinally.

I'm quite happy to hear Caramel is OK. Hopefully her recovery is quick and easy.

Since we're picking Princes at 7 EST, we'll be picking up our spay patients at the same time.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:23 pm

Here's to a quick recovery for Princess. I hope things go well.

ChadWPB

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:28 pm

She's home! One question: She got a shot of Torb for pain this afternoon. The vet's instructions were to start the Metacam (.3ml of 1.5mg/ml for one kilo pig) at 8PM. Is that too soon?

I hope Lisam and Caramel are home safe, too.
Last edited by ChadWPB on Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:30 pm

Can't help with pain meds, but congrats on Princess's arrival home. I'll let more knowledgable people help with the metacam.

ChadWPB

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:33 pm

And 7 days confinement before she can return to her cagemates?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:28 pm

Sounds good. I think I did it longer for Snowflake -- gradually gave her more room as she healed. Hope it is an uneventful recovery!

lisam

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:29 pm

We're home, too.

I've always kept mine in the sick cage for at least a week, except once when a pig was acting depressed, then I used a slightly bigger cage and put the cagemate on one side of a divider.

Caramel had what the vet called a luteal (I think that's the spelling) cyst. Her uterus was also enlarged. The vet did something new, he gave her FLUNIXIN MEGLUMINE (also known as Banamine) for pain. I wish he'd talked to me about it first--he usually gives torb. He says I won't need to give her any more pain relief than that. She doesn't seem as perky as the other pigs I had spayed, so I'm keeping a sharp eye on her.

lisam

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:32 pm

We heard you the first time, Lynx.

ChadWPB

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:07 pm

I have the hospital cage next to her cagemates. She seems fairly alert, but not eating much. She had the surgery around 3PM today. This is the first time we have taken the patient home the same day, so I'm used to slightly more perky pigs on the next day.