severe mites--need Dex dose quick

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:39 pm

I'm so filled with sadness for these peoples' pigs that I have to have a mini-rant for a moment.

They only have one left. They started with 6. One died before they called me. I took Itchy and Scratchy but they wouldn't let me have the females. They supposedly treated the mites on the other girls but another died a couple of months ago. They called me today and said that another had died. Apparently their young son got into the cage and either squeezed/dropped her or both and she "died a few days later" without seeing a vet.

These are absolutely the most horrible people I have ever met. They live in a nice house in an affluent neighborhood and are absolute f*cking morons with no regard for animals who are suffering. Soon I will receive news that the last pig has died and there is nothing that I can do about it.

Their reason for calling me? They want to purchase hay. I sent them to Charandmin. I can't, just can't deal with them. I want to rip them apart with my bare hands.

There. I am done with my rant. Thank you. I am going to cuddle Itchy and Scratchy.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:12 pm

God Chary, I'm sorry.

melcvt00

Post   » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:08 am

I still say people should have to have a license before owning animals.

jennylynn
GL Junkie

Post   » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:15 am

Either squeezed or dropped her? Or BOTH?
That's disgusting.

Isn't there anything that animal control can do about these people owning animals?

Pigglies

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:22 pm

Both of these guys' kidneys are not working properly. Scratchy's right kidney is enlarged and he is now producing Ca Carbonate as well as Struvite crystals. His bladder appears small and the bladder wall is thickened. Itchy is not doing so well. Both of his kidneys are enlarged and the left one is in poor condition. His bladder appears small and the bladder wall is thickened. He also has a lot of sediment in the bladder. They were not able to do cystocentesis because of the size of his bladder.

We are going to give them SQs and also try the aluminum hydroxide and beet pulp. Both were diagnosed using ultrasound. We don't know if the kidneys failing is because of something hereditary or the extreme dehydration from mites damaged the kidneys.

But anyone who finds pigs in that condition should maybe think about giving SQ fluids as soon as it is possible.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:47 pm

Poor little pigs. I hope the subcues help.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:06 pm

Poor guys. I'm thinking about them, and sending well-wishes your way. They've had a rough life before they got to Chary and you.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:36 pm

Just one detail, for when new people read this thread. The beet pulp Pigglies talks about it not bagged, dried beet pulp you buy at the feed store. You know, the leftovers from beets that have been processed for collecting sugar. She means fresh beets.

Pigglies

Post   » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:19 am

We had to order the aluminum hydroxide from the pharmacy. There are 2 brands Amphogel, basalgel (sp?), and the one we got Alternagel. It's a 12 oz. bottle and was $10, it looks like a Mylanta bottle. Active ingredient: aluminum hydroxide (equivilant to dried gel USP) 600mg. It does contain potassium citrate and simethicone and some other compounds.

E or Pinta, we bought the beets, what do you do with beets? Do you take the bulb and puree it or do you want an actual part of the beet that is called the pulp?

pinta

Post   » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:09 am

You puree the beets, skin and greens - everything. Add enough water so you can get it fine enough to syringe.

All I can suggest is to compare the Alternagel with the one I posted.

melcvt00

Post   » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:04 am

Alternagel is the brand that we're currently using at work.