Hello....New here

JulieandGunner

Post   » Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:13 am

My name is Julie and I am mom to one beautiful pig named Gunner. Problem is that I didn´t know better until finding this site that you DO NOT BUY animals from petstores. That is where my Gunner came from complete with mange mites :( He is currently being treated with ivermectin as per my wonderful vet. Also residing in my family is my husband, three children, our cat named Kisses, and our hamster named Arthur.

I am happy to have found such an informative site to help my family and I raise this wonderful and loving furbaby. He is just a sweetie. I have also found the reference for the C and C cages and have the cubes and will soon be getting the Coroplast.

I also wanted to say that I am smitten with the three piggies pictured in the right hand corner of the web pages and was wondering if they belonged to someone here and how I might go about adopting piggies that look like those. I love black and white because I had a kitty who has long since passed away who was black and white. My family does plan to adopt another piggie through our local rescue but I really want one that looks like the ones here, especially the long haired blk and wt one. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to get to know some of you better.

Love,

Julie and Gunner

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:40 am

Welcome, Julie.

I suggest you look in the Cavy Placement forum. There are quite a few rescues and shelters out there. Pigs of every description pass through their doors. See who is close to you and start asking. I´m sure someone has the right friend for you and Gunner. Some places have a wait list where you can request a particular breed or gender and they´ll call you when they have one.

Good luck!

JulieandGunner

Post   » Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:59 am

Thank you Ravenshade. I will definitely take your advice. Nice to meet you also.

pigpal

Post   » Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:04 pm

Hi Julie, welcome. Those pigs belong to GP Lover/Carol. Their names are Sophie, Elsie and Angel.

I have two black and white long haired pigs too. I´ll give you a link to some pics.

Here are some of our members´ holiday photos, my pigs are in there, checking out the bar and eating the snowman´s nose!

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/threa ... &styleid=5

Don´t feel too bad about getting your pig from a pet store, we all learn through our mistakes. Just remember next time to try a rescue or shelter. I´m sure there´ll be a next time!

I´m glad you´ve found a good vet and hope those mites clear out fast.
Last edited by pigpal on Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieandGunner

Post   » Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:25 pm

Thank you Pig Pal and after I type this I am on my way to see those pics!!!!!! Also, I just emailed Rachel with Baraboo Pig rescue in Wisconsin and hopefully she will be able to help me find the pig of my dreams!!!!!!! Thank you for the welcome. I wish I had a digi camera so I could post pics of my adorable Gunner. I do love seeing all the pics of everyone´s sweet and adorable piggies. Thanks again.

Love,

Julie and Gunner

JulieandGunner

Post   » Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:31 pm

Hi again Pigpal. I just checked out the pics....your pigs are gorgeous!!! So were everyone else´s too. Great photo taking also I must say. Can I ask, are your piggies pure breds? What breed are they? How about Carol´s ? I hope I can rescue one that is black and white and either medium or long haired. Just soooo adorable. Thanks again for the link.

(((Hugs))) from

Gunner and Julie

pigpal

Post   » Wed Mar 06, 2002 1:28 pm

Thanks for your compliments on my boys! They are Peruvians (which is one type of long haired guinea pig). One is a called a "dalmatian", his skin is spotted (that´s the one with most white). The other is called a "blue roan", which is a mixture of black and white hairs, giving the gray effect.

I don´t know if they´re purebred, though they could be. I adopted them from our local Humane Society after someone abandoned them in a shopping center parking lot. Most of us have adopted "mutt pigs", they´re all equally lovable and have their own distinct personalities.

Rachel has some lovely pigs, I hope you find one that´s just right for you and Gunner.

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Mar 06, 2002 5:11 pm

Welcome Julie and Gunner! Good luck on your search for a second pig! There are a lot of wonderful rescues and humane societies with pigs looking for good homes. I got my pig, who is a peruvian, from my local humane society, and he is a real sweetie! I hope you find a new friend for Gunner!

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Wed Mar 06, 2002 5:16 pm

Welcome!

Wheeks to you from my girls, Penny, Tubbit and Lilly. Penny, my first pig, came from a pet store too... I think a lot of us "didn´t know any better!" There are many on this forum with LOTS of experience with piggers.

Kara

Sunny

Post   » Wed Mar 06, 2002 5:23 pm

Hello Julie and Gunner and welcome! I too am one who got my first and second pig from the pet store. It was only when I started having problems with the second one that I started doing some research on the Internet and found this site and forum.

I´ll never buy from a pet store again and really struggle with the quality of life issues for pets which results in me spending soooooooo much of my life, trying to make their little live´s better.

This is a great group, very knowledgable, friendly, and fun!

JulieandGunner

Post   » Wed Mar 06, 2002 5:51 pm

Hi Stacy, Kara and Sunny, so great to meet you and thank you for the warm welcomes. I am very grateful to have found this site. As soon as I find out anything from Rachel about rescuing a piggie I will be sure to let you all know. I am very anxious, to save a pig especially after purchasing one from the pet store and then finding that sooooo many need homes. I look forward to learning more and hearing stories about all of your piggies. (((Hugs)))

Gunner and Julie

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:22 pm

Hi Julie. I´m kind of a recent joiner here myself, but I know how you feel about being grateful for having found this site. I didn´t realise the whole petstore thing myself until I logged on here for the first time. But around here, the shelters don´t have any stray, homeless pigs, so if I want one, I have to get him from the petstore. It is awful to support them, but I wanted Buddy SOOO bad! As you can see, he was worth it. :)

It´s great that these guys know what they´re talking about....except for Evangeline. ;) She just likes to pretend she´s smart.

Good luck finding your second piggy! :)