theory on chirping

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:49 am

I checked back with a couple of diaries I kept which mentioned the chirping as I wasn't sure what it was, and mine chirped more at the beginning of April and the end of September. Occasionally during the summer but no mention in the winter. Our clocks change last weekends in March and October. Maybe it's just a daylight thing?

We'll all be sitting by the cages with baited breath - and silence!

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:18 am

Max chirped in the April/May timeframe, too. Hmmmm.

Robyn3939
Lethal Lover

Post   » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:51 pm

At about 5am yesterday I was awoken by this loud chirping sound. It was coming from the living room where the piggies are. I snuck out to look and I think Peanut was the culprit. The other pigs were in there pigaloos and she was sitting under the futon. I think the chirping starts when the crickets start coming out. Heck I don't know. It is kind of eerie though.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:19 pm

As I said, none of my guys chirp/chirped, but Pippin seems to make his little "brr" sound more on some days than others. Has anyone noticed any stimuli that seem to trigger chirping or noticed piggies chirping more on some days than others?

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:41 pm

Eureka! Elmyra heard the chirping and went to investigate. It was NEAL. He was entranced, just like I described Max's chirping to her. She thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Max and Neal were both abbys, which may just be interesting coincidence.

liluqt

Post   » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:21 pm

Luckily, all 4 of my pigs are chirpers. They just chirp at different times. Brownie will chirp when you pet him during laptime, Chuckie and Charlie will chirp when they see veggies in sight and Dunstin just chirps nonstop and pisses the other pigs off. He's literally a high pitched shrieker. You can hear him from outside of the house.

gopherdylan
GL Addict

Post   » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:30 pm

Minnie is a chirper like that too, at veggie time and if she can't find PJ. She really does sound like a bird. In fact I heard a bird outside and almost thought it was her. Neither of them make the typical piggie wheeking sound.

critterluv02

Post   » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:49 pm

Lilu - I think you may be confusing chirping with wheeking. Chirping is a very strange sound they make that is quite rare. Of the 250+ pigs that I have had come through here, I have only had 2 or 3 that chirp.

There is a sound bit somewhere that you can listen to, I just don't know where it is.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:37 am

Pippin and Pandora both "whistle," but it is not a chirp. Pandora has developed that high-pitched wheek that normally only accompanies a toenail cutting.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:33 pm

Chilli chirped tonight! It's the first time I've heard either one this year - and it couldn't have been the birds that triggered it as it was dark outside.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:45 pm

Chirping pig:

www.guinealynx.info/media/Nina-chirping.mp3

That's cool, webs. You're now special.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:53 pm

Yay! I played your clip loud enough for the pigs - to see if there was any reaction... but I don't think they understood the accent! ;·)