horse lice

lisam

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2002 8:40 pm

Sorry, not about pigs.

My horses are infested with lice. I can´t use the usual horse lice powder on them because most are pregnant. Horses can have two different kinds of lice, biting or chewing which feed on skin cells and sebaceous secretions, and sucking lice which feed on blood.

I worm my horses with ivermectin. Now, shouldn´t that take care of the sucking lice? And would a good fly spray with pyrethrin take care of the biting ones? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I wonder how far apart I should do the two treatments? I suppose I should be talking to my vet about this.
Last edited by lisam on Fri Jan 04, 2002 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2002 10:25 pm

I´m pretty sure ivermectin is even safe on pregnant horses (use the search feature for the Guinea Lynx med pages at the bottom of each page (in the footer) and stick in horse and ivermectin. I have some FDA documents on the site that will probably verify that. (I found this document:
https://www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/NADA140-439.html
if you search for the word "pregnant" you will turn up info stating it is safe in pregnant horses)

I would ask your vet about using ivermectin topically. It´s a common route and should take care of any type of lice used that way.
Last edited by Lynx on Fri Jan 04, 2002 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2002 11:14 pm

Ivermectin would be my first stab at it. Too bad they don´t make Advantage for horses!

lisam

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2002 11:41 pm

I wish they did have something you could drop on (like advantage) for lice. There was a new product on the market last year called Freedom Spot On, it is a drop-on fly repellent. Too bad it doesn´t actually kill the little bugs.

I really hate using fly spray, I hate to use any kind of insecticide anywhere on my place. Most of what I use is natural fly repellent, you know, herbal stuff. Unfortunately, none of it is strong enough to kill anything. So it would be great if I could use ivermectin topically.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2002 4:14 pm

I don´t see why you couldn´t use Ivermectin topically. I always treated pregnant and nursing mares, as it is proven safe. You don´t?

If I´m not mistaken, the oral dosage is the same, whether it´s a guinea pig or a horse. (Lynx???) It´s just proportions that are different. Going by that, I´d say the topical dosage is the same too. Why not try it?

I´d stay away from sprays and powders, though.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2002 5:33 pm

Yes, the same 0.2 mg/kg and I don´t know why it couldn´t be used topically. Might even be safer. Oh, the topical dose is 0.5 mg/kg. Check the ivermectin page for more links to fed documents on topical use.

lisam

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2002 7:27 pm

I worm regularly with ivermectin paste wormer every other month, to all the horses, even the pregnant mares. It is an off label use for lice, however, and most vets seem to think that it doesn´t really do any good. It would only get the bloodsucking lice, who are actually sucking blood at the time the ivermectin is in the system. At least that is what the vet says.

But I am very interested in trying it topically. Can someone do the math for me, and figure out how much I would need to use on a 350 lb horse? And I suppose I would probably buy the ivomec?

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2002 8:18 pm

A 350lbs horse? Oh, Lisam, I´m rolling on the floor, here!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2002 11:03 pm

350/2.2=159kilos
at 0.5mg/kg that would come to 79mg of ivermectin.

Go to the feed store and get the topical kind (they call it "Pour-On"). I think it is diluted to 5mg/ml so it is weaker and you pour more on the horse rather than using the injectable (note: it´s all the same -- just more dilutant in the pour-on variety).

It is applied in a line down the animals back and it will work on lice where the oral may not. You might have noticed that in the reference info on the ivermectin page.

And to get that 79mg in the pour-on strength, I guess that´s about 16cc (79/5=~16)

Run through the numbers yourself so you understand everything thoroughly. Read the guineapig dosing information on the ivermectin page for a clear explanation.

lisam

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2002 12:31 am

Thanks Lynx.

Evangeline, are you laughing at my little horses? At least when a miniature steps on your foot, it hurts a lot less!

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:01 am

Lisam, let her laugh! She has never met them in person. They are adorable! All the attitude (or more so!) of the big guys, but a whole lot less to squash you. I love your little horses.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:04 am

Hey! I had one more thought. Advantage for guineas is off label, as are most of these things we use. If it is safe for dogs, cats, pigs, rats, etc, why couldn´t you dose for a horse? For example, get the 50-100 lbs dog size, and use 3 1/2- 4 vials. Right? Maybe sometime try it on a non pregnant one, although I understand it doesn´t hurt pregnant piggies. Just a thought....