Dara Hairlosss or Rash?

leebee

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:59 pm

Ouch. Poor girl.

Most of the urine scald I've seen has looked more like Dara's than Cookie's. Red and irritated. The hair comes off in clumps, but I've never seen skin sloughing as bad as Cookie's before.

Becky

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:13 pm

And Cookie's is the only urine scald I've seen. You're right. It makes sense that it'd be red, just like diaper rash.

Dr. N. said he'd never seen a urine scald quite as severe as Cookies, so it's probably not the best basis for comparison.

Athena
Notorious P.I.G.

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:17 pm

Snowflakey, anything that opens up the skin provides an avenue for yeast to climb in and settle so I'd think that yes, one could lead to the other.

The hair did come off in clumps. I pulled off what was left in the middle. I've had fungal pigs (both skinny and haired) and it doesn't look so much like fungus to me, and the affected area seems less likely that is fungal, but of course it could be.

Last night I put miconozole on it and gave her some Program and also Ivermectin. This morning I put Balmex on it. The Balmex really made it look better, and fast. It now has none of the redness. It's just bald and white. I looked at the ingredients and the Balmex and Desitin have the same active ingredient, just a slight percentage difference.

I'll take a picture of it later. It has more Balmex on it right now. Yes Lynx, it's fine to add it to the forum.

If it is urine scald then why did this happen? Does it mean there's something else wrong?

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:39 pm

I've had urine scald, although not nearly this bad, in two pigs. One had a UTI, another has reproductive organ problems and ended up having pyometra.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:02 pm

Athena, ick! That looks awful. I'm glad the Balmex is working a bit, at least.

snowflakey is right, we would babysit Gracie if you think you need more pig time. Can she fly unaccompanied yet? ;)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:13 pm

Like I said in my second post, maybe a uti or stones. They are the most likely to cause incontinence though I'm sure there are a few other causes.

Glad to hear the Desitin type stuff is really helping. It was my understanding it works great (from what people have said here -- like Becky).

Athena
Notorious P.I.G.

Post   » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:44 am

I started her on Baytril in case it's a UTI. She loves the Baytril, yum yum. I'm hoping it's not due to anything worse than that but if she isn't continuing to improve we'll take her in. She's the pig who recently had x-rays and bloodwork, which showed nothing out of the ordinary. I'm hoping not to have to put her through that again.

Just so Dara wouldn't feel left out Gracie got a diaper rash today and now they are both getting Balmexed.

Dara's is looking much better since last night:

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:05 am

That looks a lot better this morning!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:41 am

Wow, that is great improvement! There's nothing like seeing proof that a treatment works.

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:46 am

I have always sworn by Balmex! Love that stuff!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:09 am

Wow! Great pix for the before-and after urine-scald page.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:33 am

I added a link to this thread on the main reference thread in the Reference Forum. I hope we'll get at least one more picture, all healed up.