Diarrhea + fit

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:43 pm

Ok, interesting. She was getting it to coat the bladder, on the advice of several on the stoneslist. Scratchy was getting it too but then I got worried after this happened to her eye.

Lynx, she did have a couple courses of steroids. One was after her first bladder stone surgery two years ago -- a course of Dex which saved her life. Then about a year ago she had a course of Prednisone after a malignant growth was removed from her bladder.

I don't know if that would be enough steroid use. Her other meds are polycitra and metacam.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:53 pm

Glucosamine should be helpful for coating the bladder lining. We use it a lot in cats. Some vets more than others, of course.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:58 pm

Ok, I will resume using it. Meg also has bad arthritis in addition to bladder problems. Can't use it with Rain, though -- she has a bad problem with gas.

Calypso

Post   » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:21 pm

I'm bringing this thread back up to add to it. I also have a Monterey pig that appears to have the same eye condition that Meg has. Here are pictures of Milo's eye -

Best guess is that Milo is around 4 years old. Other than the eye, he's been very healthy and had no other problems (knock wood). Only one eye is affected to this extent (the other eye is still black with a tiny bit of white creeping in and just a hint of possible clouding). It has progressed fairly quickly since Christmas. He doesn't seem bothered by it in the slightest. I believe that he is blind in that eye.

Calypso

Post   » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:36 pm

I should probably add that the affected eye has always been distinctly smaller than the other eye.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:20 pm

Hi, Calypso. I added these pics to the forum. Let me know if that's okay.

Here's the pic of Meg from https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 599#540599

"Osseous metaplasia of the mesectodermal trabecular meshwork in a guinea pig"

[edit -- Lynx]

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:15 am

Kringle had that. Never knew what it was either. Didn't bother him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:20 am

How long did he have it? So it didn't interfere with lubrication of the eye?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:52 am

He had it in both eyes when rescued from the pound. I had him for about a year and he was a senior pig when I got him. The only history I had on him was he had at least two owners and the most recent owners kept him outside at night. I assume he didn't have the best of care. One eye was worse than the other. Lubrication of the eye was never a problem. I always had the impression his sight was affected.

Calypso

Post   » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:44 am

Lynx, that's fine. Thank you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:21 am

Thanks, Calypso.