Eye Discharge, Localized Hair Loss, and Antibiotic Treatment

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:21 pm

"What was the antibiotic given to you?"

This is the label on the bottle:
SMZ-TMP, susp. 48mg/mL

Dosage: .8CC twice daily (We are currently dosing at 11am and 11pm. Today is day 12)

Our paperwork lists Bactrim. I believe the above is an abbreviation for labeling, and Bactrim is the common name she provided for my reference.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:15 pm

Bactrim is a frequently prescribed well tolerated antibiotic. Let us know if things clear up.

It's always possible that there may be something fungal going on around the eyes too, due to the wetness. Hopefully when the eyes have cleared up, the hair will grow back.

Keep in mind mites can sometimes be difficult to get rid of. Be prepared to retreat if you see additional signs.

Becky

Post   » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:43 pm

I see you're in California. There are lots of us here. Where abouts are you?

On your diet, try to make the "base" of their daily salad mostly greens such as endive or escarole. The only lettuce I see on your list is leaf lettuce. It's good, too. Then add smaller amounts of the other veggies/greens.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:44 pm

Becky: We're in San Diego. Glad to hear about the local following! The pigs are seeing Dr. Cote at the Cote Animal Hospital, if anyone has any first hand experience or advice about her. She's a bit pricey, but seems much more familiar with Cavies than our previous vet.

I will pick up some endive and escarole from the market. Hopefully we like to eat it too, the large bunches of greens tend to go bad if we don't like them in our salad. Even at two full cups a day, the pigs can't eat those giant bundles by themselves!

Also, here is the news from the re-check:

Deuce is still fighting a bacterial infection, but his lungs have remained clear. He regained some weight, also. We were given AB drops for his eyes: one drop each eye, twice a day. Gentocin Opthalmic Solution. The vet feels the hair loss around the eyes is due to the discharge and we're to continue cleaning the area daily with contact solution (sterile saline).
Also, he's to remain on the Bactrim for two more weeks, making it a month total.

His cagemate, Smack, has yet to show us any symptoms at home. However, while being examined, the vet heard a 'clicking' in his breathing. She said this could be due to his quickened, nervous breathing as a result of being handled by a stranger, or it could be the beginning of an illness. She placed him on the same antibiotic, same dosage, for two weeks. No eye drops.

Becky

Post   » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:24 pm

Endive and escarole are a bit bitter, but we like some of it mixed with our other salad greens. I don't think I'd eat it alone.

Actually, since we've had pigs, we're much more diverse in our own eating habits.

Ah, San Diego! Awfully nice down there.

Good luck with your pigs. Hope the eye/bacteria situation clears up soon.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:57 pm

My boar gets periodic weepy eye (we don't know why, no injury, and he's been checked twice). When it happens, he has clear discharge, but it makes his fur fall out and he looks awful. Opthamolic antibiotic ointment clears it up in about a day. Hope everyone's crusties and breathing get better.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:16 pm

Oh, wow. That would be a blessing if it cleared up that soon! He does look frightful, especially since his eye, skin, and fur are so dark. The dampness and hair loss makes him look like he's melting for the corners out!

I'm fairly sure that Smack's breathing was from nervousness, he's never been as comfortable being handled as Deuce. Even by us. But I have no problem being safe instead of sorry.

We've definately increased our greens intake because of the piggies. Since we have to have it for them... well, the rest is history.

San Diego does have potential, as long as we don't float/mudslide away this winter!!

Thanks to everyone for your help. It's been very informative and more than a little comforting.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:09 pm

Same piggy, new question.

Deuce has a thick fat pad under his neck. He also has fat distributed around his belly side. He weighs 1155 grams and is 3 years old. He has looked this way his entire adult life. It doesn't seem to impair his ability to move around, but he does look as if he has no legs.

Our vet says this is an unusual body type for a guinea pig. He has always been the weaker of our pair (they are not littermates). She suggested Deuce may have some sort of congenital condition.

My question is: Does anyone have a guinea pig with this same body type that has lived a long, healthy life? Has anyone heard of a congenital/genetic problem that causes this? I tried searching the internet, but only found breeders with "guarantees" to "replace" your pig in case of a genetic problem. Disgusting. Anyway...All help is appreciated. Thank you.

Here are some pictures of both guinea pigs.
http://www.froghyde.com/gallery/view_al ... mName=pigs
Deuce is the black american/mix. Let me know if you'll need more detailed pictures, and what you would like to see in them.

Thank you.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:52 pm

I can't help with the "body type" question, but to clarify about the eyes... the weepiness would clear up quickly, but it takes a bit for the hair to grow back in. My guy is a PEW, and with the red eye and pink, hairless skin around it, he looked creepy.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:04 pm

No large change yet, for better or for worse. Continuing with AB treatment.

Also, Smack, the cagemate just recently starting AB's for a breathing 'click, might possibly be the easiest to medicate pig in the history of pigdom.

He's been so jealous about not receiving AB from a syringe these past two weeks, that now all I have to do is hold the syringe at his level in the cage and he sucks the medicine right out! Then he chews and tugs on the empty syringe. Silly, jealous thing.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:32 am

Ok, same pig, new issue. Deuce has developed a bald spot since Monday. No sores, not itching, not sensitivity to touch, no flakiness or redness.
Just plain bald. Smack, his cagemate, has always barbered him.

I have no idea what is going on. Deuce's eyes do not seem to be responding to the AB drops.

Here are some photos. I apologize in advance because my digital camera is not of the quality to take good, detailed closeups. Hopefully these pictures will still give a clue.

http://www.froghyde.com/gallery/view_al ... me=album01

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,
C

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:14 am

Ok, Deuce had a small impaction, which we just cleared. He immediatly passed a small, greenish pellet We're keeping him separated to assure he continues to pass.

That's a very stinky chore. Could this impaction be a direct or indirect cause of some of these symptoms?

I'm at such a loss at what to do with this pig. The vet wants to run bloodwork to test liver and kidney function. However, she says she draws from the jugular, which to me leaves the possibility of a life-threatening blood clot moving directly to the brain. Is it proper to draw blood from the jugular of a pig?

Thank you.