Guinea pig garden

pevensiev

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:12 pm

Is anyone else growing veggies for their pigs? I will be growing butterbib (boston) lettuce, mesclun mix, parsley, and will keep the dandelions around. He has sludge so I am excited to be able to just pick off what I need to get the right ratio. I am also growing squash, cucumbers, carrots, and tomatoes which will be treats for my pig.

Anyone have tips or suggestions for growing something else? I am also going to start a compost bin and will be throwing pig poop in. This makes me quite happy and I like how my pig is actually working for his dinner! I can basically just shake out my fleece because poop and hay are great for composting.

hammer
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:20 pm

Or you could do like me, and skip the composter all together! Just throw the poop into the garden. I use a hoe to chop it under the dirt, especially when company is coming, but its pretty much pre-composted for you!

I grew tomatos, green beans, and zucchini last year, but my tomatoes sucked. I'm hoping things go better this year.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:20 pm

Good for you. I grow gardens for all the #%&*#$@ insects, stuff never made it out of the garden for the pigs.

mamakaykay4

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:00 pm

I am also thinking of starting a garden. We go through veggies like crazy here, not just for the piggies but believe it or not our kids love them too! Hopefully I can replace my brown thumb with a green one and get a good garden underway! Good luck with your's.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:01 pm

I'm making another attempt at parsley, but generally I just end up killing things.

zookeeper
Even Booze Hags Give

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:03 pm

mache (corn salad)
salad burnet
chicory
endive/escarole
peppergrass a.k.a. cress
nasturtiums
chervil
caraway
orach
amaranth
beets (for the greens)
radishes (for the greens)

no, my guinea pigs are NOT spoiled

pevensiev

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:25 pm

I have been doing that for the past six months too hammer. I have been just throwing it in my garden to prepare but I live in an urban area with a small plot so my neighbors can see me do it.

Thats a great list zookeeper. Can they eat the nasturtium blossoms? I just have to know the Ca:Ph ratio for everything first but I may have to copy some of your plants.

onmiwei

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:30 pm

Last year I grew parsley and spinach for the pigs. I have a big yard this year but no where to grow things. We are renting so I can't really tear up a part of the yard for a garden. I do have a wild rabbit who lives in my yard, he more than likely would eat all of it anyway.

moondazed

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:05 pm

The great thing about a lot of the plants listed is that they are easy to grow in containers, so you don't have to have a garden :-) I have a big yard, but still container garden because it's easier.

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:13 pm

Hey smiley -

One of my garden books suggests covering a garden (either by row, by section, or the whole thing if you have a raised bed, with a light weight mesh material to help keep pesty bugs out.

I released lady bugs this year and actually got babies! Didn't know what they were at first - ugliest things - until I found a picture on the net. Man they are gross looking as babies, but they sure do feast on little plant eating bugs!

ParanoidEv

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:25 pm

I am trying to grow romaine lettuce and bell peppers. The peppers aren't really going fast, just 1 tiny plant popped above the ground today. They are now in a plastic box for growing plants but I am going to plant them in the garden where I always throw my piggy-poopies!

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:33 pm

PE - I've found that peppers like it warm. Don't know how warm it is where you keep the box they are growing in, but I would move it to the sunniest spot you can find since your in the Netherlands. They are often considered one of the few veggie plants that can make it through a Phoenix, Arizona summer (temps around 40-45'C for months).
Last edited by Red Blur on Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.