Guinea pig garden

pevensiev

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:12 pm

Is anyone else growing veggies for their pigs? I will be growing butterbib (boston) lettuce, mesclun mix, parsley, and will keep the dandelions around. He has sludge so I am excited to be able to just pick off what I need to get the right ratio. I am also growing squash, cucumbers, carrots, and tomatoes which will be treats for my pig.

Anyone have tips or suggestions for growing something else? I am also going to start a compost bin and will be throwing pig poop in. This makes me quite happy and I like how my pig is actually working for his dinner! I can basically just shake out my fleece because poop and hay are great for composting.

hammer
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:20 pm

Or you could do like me, and skip the composter all together! Just throw the poop into the garden. I use a hoe to chop it under the dirt, especially when company is coming, but its pretty much pre-composted for you!

I grew tomatos, green beans, and zucchini last year, but my tomatoes sucked. I'm hoping things go better this year.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:20 pm

Good for you. I grow gardens for all the #%&*#$@ insects, stuff never made it out of the garden for the pigs.

mamakaykay4

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:00 pm

I am also thinking of starting a garden. We go through veggies like crazy here, not just for the piggies but believe it or not our kids love them too! Hopefully I can replace my brown thumb with a green one and get a good garden underway! Good luck with your's.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:01 pm

I'm making another attempt at parsley, but generally I just end up killing things.

zookeeper
Even Booze Hags Give

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:03 pm

mache (corn salad)
salad burnet
chicory
endive/escarole
peppergrass a.k.a. cress
nasturtiums
chervil
caraway
orach
amaranth
beets (for the greens)
radishes (for the greens)

no, my guinea pigs are NOT spoiled

pevensiev

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:25 pm

I have been doing that for the past six months too hammer. I have been just throwing it in my garden to prepare but I live in an urban area with a small plot so my neighbors can see me do it.

Thats a great list zookeeper. Can they eat the nasturtium blossoms? I just have to know the Ca:Ph ratio for everything first but I may have to copy some of your plants.

onmiwei

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:30 pm

Last year I grew parsley and spinach for the pigs. I have a big yard this year but no where to grow things. We are renting so I can't really tear up a part of the yard for a garden. I do have a wild rabbit who lives in my yard, he more than likely would eat all of it anyway.

moondazed

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:05 pm

The great thing about a lot of the plants listed is that they are easy to grow in containers, so you don't have to have a garden :-) I have a big yard, but still container garden because it's easier.

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:13 pm

Hey smiley -

One of my garden books suggests covering a garden (either by row, by section, or the whole thing if you have a raised bed, with a light weight mesh material to help keep pesty bugs out.

I released lady bugs this year and actually got babies! Didn't know what they were at first - ugliest things - until I found a picture on the net. Man they are gross looking as babies, but they sure do feast on little plant eating bugs!

ParanoidEv

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:25 pm

I am trying to grow romaine lettuce and bell peppers. The peppers aren't really going fast, just 1 tiny plant popped above the ground today. They are now in a plastic box for growing plants but I am going to plant them in the garden where I always throw my piggy-poopies!

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:33 pm

PE - I've found that peppers like it warm. Don't know how warm it is where you keep the box they are growing in, but I would move it to the sunniest spot you can find since your in the Netherlands. They are often considered one of the few veggie plants that can make it through a Phoenix, Arizona summer (temps around 40-45'C for months).
Last edited by Red Blur on Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spikes mom

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:35 pm

Parsley is great once it is established. I noticed that it is coming back this year which made me very happy.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:26 pm

Thanks RB, we shall see if I want to go through all the trauma again. There are other bugs that are even more effective than the ladybugs. I took a class on all the varieties, too bad we can't buy in bulk.

You are right about baby ladybugs, they go through like 3 or 4 moltings until they become the 'real' thing. Those little buggers eat a TON of nasty aphids though. Had a great time watching them one year.

aqh88

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:14 pm

You can order ladybugs and other bugs online in bulk.. I just don't remember the site. I'm planting peppers, looseleaf lettuce, cilantro, a little parsley, basil, chives, and catnip this year. Along with a wildflower, columbine, and fox glove patch. I'm hatching out guinea fowl to eat the bugs. They don't scratch the dirt like chickens and absolutely love bugs as well as weed seeds. Can't wait for my cute little guinea keets to hatch and keep my garden bug free. The only down side is they are somewhat noisy and also enjoy eating some veggies. They especially like tomatos, so I have to watch what I grow. Hopefully the peppers won't be in danger. The lettuce and peppers have made their appearance in the seed box inside. Haven't even started digging up the garden outside to plant them yet but I start with working in some horse manure off the pile and the used carbon from my fish filter. Aquarium carbon is wonderful fertilizer especially after soaking up the excess phosphates and nutrients in the water. I've been dumping the guinea pig bedding/droppings from cage cleaning on the garden area since last fall.

lisam

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:20 am

Here's a recent thread on gardening in general, but it has lots of good ideas for stuff for the pigs.

SmileyAli
Supporter in '05

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:43 am

Grass.

My lawn is just one big veggie supply to the pigs. I've given it an early spring top dressing of guinea pig poop and it's growing like you would not believe.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:34 am

Me too, but my grass was cut at the weekend and fed this week so the pigs are sulking as they're not getting any at the moment! I grow parsley in tubs too, but after the ideas here I may branch out!

SmileyAli
Supporter in '05

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:47 am

I'm growing cucumbers this year. I have two female variety seedlings on my kitchen window ledge awaiting weather warm enough to go out in my greenhouse. Not sure what the pigs will make of these, home grown cucumbers have a thicker skin and somehow taste different to the supermarket brands.

pevensiev

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:19 am

I had a huge amount of cucumbers last year and my pig was resistant to eat them at first. Because I had so many I would just keep throwing in a bit until he finally ate them (begrugingly or not, I will never know). I am crazy and remove the skin and seeds.

aqh- I didn't know that about the aquarium filter. What about aquarium water? I remember stumbling across something about using that in the garden last year but I didnt' have an aquarium then.

51 posts