Help! I have to quarantine my pigs in the UK for 6 months!!!

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:55 pm

Unless of course the option of a rescfor the quarantine does appear. Good luck.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:19 am

So far things are looking positive, I'm not sure how often the authorities check up on the animals in quarantine to see if they are still there... maybe we could get a hold of some lookalikes to stand in... ;·)
The quarantine is mainly for rabies so that's why cats, dogs and ferrets are the main culprits for getting shut up for 6 months but if they have anti-rabies shots they can get in generally alot easier. Guinea pigs are low risk of spreading the disease but they don't fit in any particular group so have to get lumped under the 'all other animals' 6 months category.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:16 am

How far are you willing to travel pf? I have a contact in the Hastings area on the south coast but it may be a bit far if you will be in west London. map here

Edit to say no early release for 'good behaviour' unfortunately, and if the authorities do a spot check and discover the animals are not there they will be hunted down and destroyed - seriously!

petit-filous

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:44 am

Thank you everyone for all your support. I hate how beauracracy gets in the way of animal rights, basically all sorts of rights in general!

Leaving my piggies behind in Bahrain isn't an option unless I find someone who will give them the same standard of care they receive from me--or a standard that I approve of. I have been asking around and it is looking increasingly unlikely. Hence my appeal for help.

If I can get them into a trusted quarantine in the UK who will take good care of them, I think we can weather this storm together.

webs, Hastings isn't too far away at all! I won't be working for the first 6 months or so after the move so I will be free to travel to see them every week.

In fact right now an animal sanctuary in Swansea may be able to take them in--I just spoke to the owner and he has 4 gp's of his own. He's waiting for the DEFRA vet in Wales to give him permission next week--fingers crossed!!! If all goes well, this June when I'm on holiday in the UK I plan to hop on a train to Swansea to check out his place and give him the full instructions on gp care, GuineaLynx style : )

webs if you could pass me your Hastings contact's email address and tel number I will contact them and arrange to visit them in June as well. It would be wonderful to be able to choose from several options! Many thanks in advance.

deborah
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:29 pm

I dont know if this is feasible for you but it may be worth looking into the quarantine laws of other European countries. If they are not so stringent, you could fly from Bahrain to Europe with the pigs, get them "pet passports" and then come into the UK from there. I am sure it is against all the rules though! I have a friend who brought his cat back to England from Portugal recently without too much trouble and no need for quarantine.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:18 pm

My contacts are through the CCT so the piggies will be in good hands! Will email you direct with details, I'm just waiting for confirmation of alternatives.

petit-filous

Post   » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:49 am

Thanks webs I will wait for the info.

Thanks deborah I have already explored the EU country and special status country (Switzerland, Luxembourg, Monaco, San Marino, etc.) options. Unfortunately the end result is the same for all guinea pigs ultimately ending up in the UK--6 months of quarantine. The only difference is the quarantine can take place in EU and special status countries instead of the UK.

I just shudder to think about all the guinea pigs and other small animals currently excluded from the pet passport scheme being kept by British expatriate families in the Gulf / Middle East. If (God forbid) war or general instability were to ever break out en masse throughout the region, just imagine the numbers of small pets left behind because they could not be brought home without the tremendous hassle of a 6 month quarantine. Currently only dogs, cats and ferrets are on the pet passport scheme because they can be microchipped and vaccinated against rabies--both of which I believe are lethal to guinea pigs.

cea2001

Post   » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:49 pm

Yes, it was me that moved back to the UK from Oz. I decided to rehome because of the length of quarantine and because I didn't want to put them through a 24 hour flight. The stress of travelling for that length of time and then having to put up with (to my mind) substandard care for 6 months meant it just wasn't an option.

I very much hope you can find a suitable place for quarantine (that doesn't charge the earth).

petit-filous

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:25 am

Hi cea2001

I can imagine the flight from Oz to the UK would be a total nightmare. With all the stopovers, the travelling time would indeed be longer than a day! Even the hardiest guinea pigs would have been severely stressed.

Thankfully Bahrain to Heathrow is a relatively easier 6-7 hours by direct flight. Our location is certainly better for pet travel.

I have also been extremely fortunate with the people who are helping me, offering good advice and kind words of support--including you and other GL members. A Kiwi lady who's been in Bahrain for decades offered her services as a pet exporter and she'll make sure that the pigs are flown in comfort in a custom-made cage to Heathrow and (hopefully) whisked off to an animal sanctuary that I have checked out and approve of.

Wish me luck!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:20 am

We do. We all know how hard this will be on both you and your little guys. I hope they get spoiled and that you can visit.

Good luck for sure.

cea2001

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:56 pm

Glad to hear that you are getting support and help.

Gawd, the flight from Oz to the UK is appalling. Not only is it endless and uncomfortable, it makes my head explode with boredom (or nearly).

It would pretty much be a death warrant for a pig, I would think.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Good news! Great luck to you!