Eye Discharge, Localized Hair Loss, and Antibiotic Treatment

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:49 pm

No. It is not reasonable for mite treatment. See the topical ivermectin treatment page link I provided above.

If it were me, I would pay for other diagnostics, not the mite treatment.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:48 pm

Ok. Thank you. This is starting to form into a much clearer plan of action.

I will order the mite treatment from ValleyVet.

I understand about referring to a vet. We will carefully follow the instructions. At what point in treatment should I disinfect the cage?

I will monitor Deuce's weight and eating to head off any tooth problems, and pray that there isn't a heart problem.

As long as he is maintaining weight and eating well, are they any other diagnostics you recommend?

Thank you for all of your time. Everyone here is so truely devoted to helping others.

dribble

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:33 pm

I posted search result links, not regular ones. My bad. Sorry 'bout that.

Can you post a picture of your pig? I'm curious about that "body type" comment.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:54 pm

Mites don't live off the host, so you don't need to "disinfect" the cage. A good thorough cleaning after the 2nd dosing would probably be enough, just to be emotionally clean!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:26 pm

Good luck. You can email Fenella, who runs the San Diego gp rescue. She probably knows where you can get ivermec locally.

http://www.weecompanions.com/

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:38 pm

The pigs and I do need emotional cleaning! Thank you!

I've contacted WeeCompanions, thank you for the reference.

I've emailed Lynx photos. I couldn't figure out how to post them myself. Sorry about that. I borrowed a higher quality digital camera, so hopefully they will be clear and helpful enough for Lynx to post.

Also, the runny nose has reappeared this morning. But the eye discharge is thinning and lessening, and the fur around his eyes is starting to grow back. I asked WeeCompanions for a vet reccomendation and I will see the new vet about switching ABs. Either Avian and Exotics, or whomever WeeCompanions sees, whichever can get me in sooner.

Weight is maintaining, eating and drinking are great, energy is up.

We had to remove another impaction this morning. It was large, and there was quite a bit of hair in his anal sac. I'm not sure why this is. He's all shiny clean down there now, so we'll just have to see tonight if that's a fix, or a new routine.

I'm considering starting him on poop soup. He's been on AB for three weeks now. Could his stomach bacteria be off, and as a result, be causing soft poops and impaction?

Thank you very much.
C

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:43 pm

The AB's could definately be causing the soft poops and impaction problems. You probably want to check him pretty frequently, and offer him anything you find. The special poops are particularly important. Poop soup is a very good idea; his good gut flora is probably messed up.

Good luck with new vet, new AB, ivermectin!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:30 pm

Make sure he eats lots of high quality hay.

Here are some of your pics. They were very big. I resized 3 of the most helpful ones. Fat pig:
www.guinealynx.info/photos/ketus-1.jpg

Missing hair:
www.guinealynx.info/photos/ketus-2.jpg

Weepy eye (not clear at all, looks like pea eye):
www.guinealynx.info/photos/ketus-3.jpg

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:58 am

Thank you for your help, Lynx.

Deuce has had Pea Eye since about 1 year of age. Its never bothered him, and its never weeped before.

My poor fat, bald pig.

I love him!

pinta

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:03 am

I don't know if I missed the Pea Eye but since he has it, I strongly recommend a full body xray to see if his heart is enlarged, if his his liver is enlarged, if there is fluid in his lungs, air in his tummy.

Also check his feet. Swollen? Close to ulcerating?

These are all signs of heart disease(along with a chronic URI).

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:18 pm

Pinta,

I didn't mention Pea Eye earlier because he's nearly always had it, and has never been a problem. Our first vet said that is was genetic and nothing to worry about. Now I've been reading about heart disease, and I do think you're right. Everything seems to point in that direction. He's always been the weaker of the pair, but I thought that was just because he's younger and less dominant.

We've got an appointment at Avian and Exotics on Wednesday.

Wish us luck!

C

pinta

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:10 pm

Some cases of Pea Eye being connected to heart disase is merely my personal hunch at this point but my vet is starting to feel the same way.

I made the connection when Zag's pea eye completely disappeared after she got on Lasix. Her supposed walking pneumonia was actually a bad heart.