Eye Discharge, Localized Hair Loss, and Antibiotic Treatment

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:23 pm

Also, the vet said to get as much Vitamin C into Deuce as possible. He suggested 100mg a day.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:37 pm

It sound like he's competent and has a plan. I hope you get answers that have solutions. Thanks for your detailed post.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:53 pm

I'm glad the details are helpful. I was again worring that I've lost all control of how much I talk (type).

Tomorrow seems like such a long time to wait for a clue, but such a short time to look up all of this information!

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:24 am

This is a complete off chance shot, but does this make sense:

Parsley: http://botanical.com/site/column_rita/parsley.html
"It has diuretic qualities, flushing the kidneys, helping to stimulate urination when the kidneys are sluggish and acting as a mild laxative."

Parsley was the only veggie they got daily for the past 3 years. I stopped giving it to them about a month ago because I learned how high in calcium it is and it can cause stones.

Is it possible that the parsley was keeping this edema down, and when I cut it out 4 weeks ago, this problem surfaced?

Or, this could just be the desperate result of internet searching.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:37 am

I'm stewing in my own worries here. Too much thread searching and reading.
Pinta, I hate to ask because of your loss, but does this sound like Rachel?
Thank you.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:31 am

Evangeline,

I saw a post on another thread where you mentioned thyroid problems and T4. Do you know the norms for this blood test? I'd like to ask my vet to test for it if he still has the sample tomorrow.

Thank you.

pinta

Post   » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:37 am

Yes. I was thinking this sounded like Rachel. In her case it was kidneys.

I doubt parsley alone could have headed this off but if he has no stones, it probably wouldn't really hurt to give him some.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:41 am

He's getting Lasix starting today. He's had one dose so far, and has lost 10 grams since 11am. He also looks less puffy.

Is this weight loss normal?

pinta

Post   » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:47 am

Yes because it's the fluid coming out. That's a good sign.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:57 am

Good! Good! The vet told me to expect about 60 grams lost in the next 2 to 3 days, but its faster than I thought.

Now if I can only get him to do a T-4 test before he throws that blood sample away, we might narrow almost everything down in one blood draw!

Thank you!

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:21 pm

Ok, blood work is back.

Stopping antibiotics because white blood cell count is completely normal.

Blood Urira Nitrogen is elevated, indicating a kidney problem. Not sure if this is primary or secondary.

We are to continue Lasix and call on Monday. Deuce has lost 30 grams as of right now.

Its possible he had a kidney or bladder infection that overwhelmed his kidneys. The Lasix could help bring it into line.

Its also possible there is a bladder stone, not blocking the ureter, but just hanging out up there.

And, kidney disease is a possibility.

If no improvement with Lasix treatment, then the next step is urine culture and x-rays.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:24 pm

Stones in a boar can be a real potential killer. The urethra is too narrow to pass them. I would get an x-ray just to check, even as you are beginning lasix.