mites/sore/labored breathing/skinny

LER

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:47 am

Thank you, Pinta.

LER

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:09 pm

Kirk, the b&w boar with the wheezing breath, is still wheezing. We have not put him on antibiotics because there is no nasal or eye discharge and his lungs sound clear and the vet hears no wetness or anything on the breathing in and out when she listens. I am sure I don't explain it right but hopefully it made sense. We have been worried about using antibiotics needlessly due to their weakened state overall. I'd appreciate any feedback. I can't tell for sure but I think it is pretty much staying the same, not getting worse.

The eyes apparently look a bit better to her as of Wednesday and will be rechecked in a week.

Poor Fuzzy Lumpkins has developed a possible edema (?) (swollen area) under his chin from his cape. The cape is now off and he is being monitored by me tonight to see if the swelling goes down. We will need to refigure how to keep him from chewing/licking the sore. I will print out pics of the wrapped pigs. The sore is looking better but I suspect that it will regress tonight now that the cape is off. But, we will deal with it. Please keep the little guy in your thoughts.

I'm a little worried because they aren't gaining as much weight as I'd hoped. But, all appear to be eating well and they are up in weight, just not as much as I'd like to see, considering they are all pretty young. I guess perhaps they are using the ood food to improve their health first before they start growing and such? Not sure.

Thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:36 pm

Sounds like the boar might have only a throat obstruction that is causing the wheezing sound. Pinta has noted that in pigs with fluid filled lungs, you can't hear anything. If he seems pretty perky and healthy otherwise, this is unlikely.

Good luck with Fuzzy Lumpkins. Don't forget products like Chew Guard (see the supplies page). Peppery, stop chewing, prescribed by a vet.

LER

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:06 am

Thanks Lynx,
We will experiement and see what we can use. It's in kind of a funny place.

My vet did mention if the wheezing got worse or no better, the next step would be to do a chest x-ray.

Everyone is eating Cavy Performance, all bowls were empty this evening so I filled them back up. They eat veggies and hay also, and are drinking. I just expected them to gain weight more quickly. I will post their weights since they came and the weight chart here and would love to hear feedback.

Here is the weight chart:

And here are the weights in it:
Kirk, black and white boar
4/17: 728 grams
4/19: 746 grams
4/20: 758, 780
4/21: 759, 776
4/22: 762, 752
4/23: 764
up 36 grams total.

Fuzzy Lumpkins , white and orange boar, with sore
4/17: 642 grams
4/19: 690 grams
4/20: 688, 706
4/21: 672, 688
4/22: 678, 678
4/23: 690
(weights adjusted to account for cape)
up 48 grams total.

Hawk, white and orange boar, baby
4/17: 374 grams
4/19: 402 grams
4/20: 398, 412
4/21: 410, 410
4/22: 408, 406
4/23: 408
up 34 grams total.

Poppyseed, black and white sow, baby
4/17: 316 grams
4/19: 320 grams
4/20: 328, 340
4/21: 336, 354
4/22: 346, 346
4/23: 346
up 30 grams total.

Pattycake, white and orange sow, baby
4/17: 352, grams
4/19: 372 grams
4/20: 392, 402
4/21: 387, 414
4/22: 405, 402
4/23: 400
up 48 grams total.

Rebecca, black and white sow
4/17: 588 grams
4/19: 592 grams
4/20: 606, 620
4/21: 608, 609
4/22: 606, 612
4/23: 598
up 10 grams total.

The weights are down a little this evening but that I believe has to do with the empty dishes and the lateness of the hour when I weighed them. If only I was more consistent! I also forgot to weigh them this morning. (bad me)

Any thoughts?

I do have Critical Care here but have not been supplementing because they are eating well and are all up from their original weights, which is of course good.

Also, FL does drink a lot of water and seems to have a bit of a pot belly.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:48 am

Cool I added a link to your thread on JHand's pup weights page (and added your chart to the forum -- hope that's okay with you).

LER

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:24 pm

I'm hoping for a little more feedback on my concerns (not that I don't appreciate you, Lynx!)

Fuzzy Lumpkins drinks much more water than any of the other pigs. He attacks the food when I put it in. He has a pot belly. He is the piggie with the sore, is getting extra vit c because we suspect they were sufferring from a deficiency, and bring treated for mites. Should I be asking about other diagnostics? Which ones, if so? BTW, the edema has gone down (gone now).

Kirk with the wheezing, but good lung sounds, weight gain and activity. Should I get an x-ray? Lynx mentions a throat obstruction, how could we check for that? Any other thoughts?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:34 pm

A throat obstruction like Snowflakes would be very intermittent and not have any other accompanying symtoms and disappear in an hour or two.
[p.s. I understand your trying to get more advice than I have to offer -- good luck squeezing it out]

pinta

Post   » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:39 am

Blood panels, xrays, ultrasounds are all possible diagnostics. Excessive water drinking could be Cushings disease, kidney issues, diabetes. Blood glucose test for diabetes.

LER

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:40 am

Kirk is going in on Thursday for chest x-rays.

We are also planning to do bloodwork and urinalysis on Fuzzy Lumpkins. My vet was wondering where blood is generally drawn on piggies (remember, she's awesome but not a piggie vet). She was thinking jugular but I said I'd ask and see if others had other opinions/thoughts. I'm thinking she'll take urine with a needle like with cats? If this is correct, any recommendations for needle size?

Finally, Rebecca is making that gagging/choking sound fairly frequently, it seems to me even when she isn't actively eating but I could be wrong (know know the sound they normally make when they eat too fast)? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any help.

pinta

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:18 am

My vet tries to get blood from the toenail first and then goes for a vein in the front leg. I don't know the needle size for the bladder.

LER

Post   » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:43 am

Thanks Pinta.

Fuzzy Lumpkins is going in tomorrow at 3pm. Does anyone know what lab we should try to send to and what panel we should be asking for? Josephine? I think they send to Tufts, Cornell, and Michigan regularly. (I could be wrong).

Someone mentions "small mammel panel"? Would that be right? Any thoughts appreciated!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:26 am

My vet said jugular was the usual way but it didn't work so he cut a nail too short and was able to express enough blood out to get the test done.