Eye Discharge, Localized Hair Loss, and Antibiotic Treatment

Becky

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:26 pm

Ketus, I have a guinea pig that we suspect has adrenal tumors (a form of Cushings--there are two types--one is tumors on the pituitary gland, the other is adrenal tumors).

I was waiting for all of her lab results to come back before doing a thread, but I'll share a little here with you now and urge your vet to get in touch with my vet. It's Curt Nakamura at Adobe Animal Hospital in Los Altos, 650-948-9661. They can compare the various numbers they get on the tests.

We had the skin biopsy done a few weeks ago, along with several other serum and urine tests.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:54 pm

Thank you very much, Becky.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:52 am

I've been thinking about the possibilities of allergies and reading about fleece.

If it is contact dermititis that's causing the ventral thickening of the skin, would using fleece to separate him from the CareFresh help? The vet seemed to think that Carefresh isn't an allergin, but that's the only thing Deuce's belly is in constant contact with.

Also, we then introduce the detergent I wash the fleece in to Deuce as a potential allergin. We use All Free and Clear because my Fiance is allergic to anything scented.

I don't want to change anything until we get a diagnosis, but on the other hand, switching to fleece is easy and cheap, and what if it works? It could save Deuce two more weeks of discomfort and illness.

Any thoughts? Becky, does your guinea pig have a thickening of the skin on his ventral side? Or is this just a strange symptom unique to Deuce?

As always, you are all much appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: I just re-read this. If Deuce has Cushings disease, fleece won't make him worse. If he has contact allergies, it may help. I guess that's a no change/win situation.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:31 am

Sounds reasonable to me. I'd give it a try then.

Becky

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:29 pm

Cotton's skin didn't thicken, and in fact, seemed to be thinner, especially on her belly. Also, her hair loss began on her back, then her rump and progressed up her belly.

Here are a couple of pictures. Hopefully they're not too big so Lynx doesn't hit me or something.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:43 pm

"...so Lynx doesn't hit me or something..."
Becky, Becky, Becky. No hitting. Hey, your pictures are a good size and if they weren't I never resort to violence. More like deprivation, incarceration, humiliation and other handy -ations.

Your pics are great. I copied them to the board. Let me know if you will punish me for presuming it will be fine with you.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:21 am

That hairloss on her rump looks exactly like Deuce's. He's also lost hair under his chin and now on the sides of his neck.

It just seems to get thinner, and thinner, and then all of a sudden he has bald pink skin. Its like it happens over night.

Thank you very much for sharing your pictures. Hopefully our vets can put their heads together and get these guinea pigs sorted out!

I think that Deuce likely has a number of issues.

Becky

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:24 pm

Yes, on the thinner and thinner part. The last place Cotton lost hair was under her chin.

Another thing I noticed was that her skin color/pigment changed during this whole thing. It was all quite pink, but now has dark spots. A ferret vet here said that's not unusual for adrenal tumors.

Actually, Cotton's hair is all growing back. (Also not unusual.) Our next step is to spay her, since with fluxuating hormones, she's bound to have reproductive-type problems. We'll also know for sure if there are adrenal tumors at that time.

I'll keep you posted, and I do hope the vets can talk.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:09 pm

Deuce's skin has always been dark. He's starting to get white and pink flecks.

I'm waiting for the vet to call back.

He's not eating his veggies right now. My Fiance said he ate this morning, but slowly. I just checked his poop and it is small and stuck together in strings.

He hasn't lost any weight but his gut is gurgling and he isn't moving very much. I'm starting a pellet mash and I'm going to syringe him fluids. I just asked the vet Wednesday about critical care, and he said not to worry because Deuce was still eating. I should have pushed.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:27 pm

Damnit, there is no on-call vet. They refer me to the emergency hospital. I don't even know if they know how to treat guinea pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:38 pm

If you hand feed and give fluids (you mentioned you were doing that), it will help.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:50 pm

I just fed him 5cc of pellet mash, and 4cc of water. He just refused to take more.

I have Metacam. Should I guess he's in pain and give him a dose?

He's now 1150, down from 1229. But the weight difference came on Wednesday when we increased his Lasix dose. He's weight has held steady since then.

What's the proper dosage for an 1150g pig, but some of that weight could still be edema.