Eye Discharge, Localized Hair Loss, and Antibiotic Treatment

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:58 pm

Well, the hand feeding and fluids seemed to perk him up. By 4 am he was eating cucumber, but very slowly. He still hasn't drank a noticably amount of water on his own, but he was out of his hut and begging for food at 9am this morning.

I did not give him the lasix dose last night, and I asked my fiance to call the vet and ask about the dehydration and lack of appetite.

Becky

Post   » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:31 pm

Have you checked his teeth?

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:06 pm

His teeth were check while he was asleep for the bloodwork. Everything looked good. However, I understand from reading here that they can grow up in a couple of weeks? I haven't seen him eating much hay, but he has been eating pellets.

We did not have dental x-rays taken, however nothing looked abnormal with his roots on the regular x-ray. Is this sensitive enough to be sure?

I just got the report from home. He's eaten a couple of lettuce pieces and more cucumber. The vet advised discontinuing Lasix for the rest of today and syringing him fluid every three hours as much as he will take. If he starts drinking on his own, we can return to Lasix tomorrow at the original, lower, dose.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:52 pm

See the teeth page and the xray of Pinta's pig with elongated teeth. It is fairly clear. A good dental xray can show other things too. If the teeth are suspect, it's a good idea. Teeth can grow significantly in 2 weeks. Note the growth of Pinta's broken toothed pig on that page.

www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:39 am

We've got to go to the vet on Monday to check teeth. Deuce is begging for food, but no longer eating. He just sniffs and mouths it.

He doesn't like the syringe, but as soon as we start giving him water or pellet mash he tugs and chews on the syringe. Its hard to see him so hungry.

We're going to get up every couple of hours tonight and feed him. He hasn't lost any more weight, and we've stopped the Lasix.

Also, we wrap him in a towel and hold him to handfeed. After a while he'll start biting and pulling at the towel. Is this a sign of pain? Or is he just frustrated with the feeding?

Does any one have any tips on getting more pellet mash to the pig faster? I feel like Deuce can eat much more than the 1cc syringe at a time. But I'm having trouble mixing the pellet mash so I can even suck it into the syringe. I have a 1cc syringe with the end removed as shown on the hand feeding page. If I make the mash dry, I get only air in the syringe. If I make it wet, I get only water.

Thank you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:38 am

I think the biting and pulling at the towel is just a sign of frustration and wanting to get out.

You can try a 3cc syringe to see if that works any better for you. Some people prefer it.

pinta

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:48 pm

I wouldn't recommend it. The 3 cc syringe forces their jaws too wide open affecting the jaw muscles and sometimes even the alignment of the jaw. You want to echo a natural chewing position as much as possible so you don't worsen an already bad situation.

PauloF

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:11 pm

What worked best for me was to soften pellets with water, and then mash them with baby food.

If it is too liquid, just add more mashed pellets. If it is too solid, then just add more baby food.

A 1ml syringe was great for it. Remove all the tip so that you are able to take the plunger is able to stick out of the syringe. Then you won't have so much trouble with it.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:05 pm

Or fill a larger syringe with the mash and use it to fill the 1cc syringes (assuming the larger syringe is fitted with a thin tip).

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:07 pm

Ok, I've just called and sent my Fiance to the store for baby food. Is pumpkin a good choice? I thought it might help with the fiber issue. Also, I suggested that he stay away from fruit foods to avoid a ton of sugar. Is this correct?

So we should try and get him to eat about 5cc several times a day? So far we are offering him water and food by syringe every three hours, and hopefully we only have to keep it up until Monday.

I'm really praying this is a fixable tooth issue, and not the end. I just don't feel that Deuce is giving up. I feel he's hungry and doesn't understand why he can't eat.

Thank you, everyone.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:12 pm

Ok, we called the ER vet again, they don't have any tools to work on Deuce's teeth. They would only be able to stabalize him. And they said if we're able to give him food and water at home, that's better than being at the hospital for the same thing.

My Fiance got baby food peas, because there was no pumpkin and the peas had the highest fiber content.

He also purchased a 5cc medicine dropper with a tapered end and Deuce is eating pellet mash moistened with the peas.

However, I just learned that when cleaning out Deuce's impaction, a very long, sticky, and stringy poop was removed. It had no real shape, but was almost four inches long. Is this due to the lack of enough fiber the past 36 hours? Also, his belly is making a wet gurgling sound. Any comments appreciated.

pinta

Post   » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:11 am

All I can suggest is hydration subcues or unflavoured pedialyte and more handfeeding. It doesn't sound like he is getting enough food.

If he is only getting 5 ccs of food every 3 hours - that isn't enough. When I handfeed I handfeed unfil the pig gains 1 to 2 ounces - please read the handfeeding info in the care guide.

I think I manage to get 1/4 to 1/3 cup of pellet mash down their throats per session. Using a scale is the most accurate way of making sure more is going in than is coming out.