Eye Discharge, Localized Hair Loss, and Antibiotic Treatment

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:29 pm

You so eloquently describe your love and care for him. I'm glad you found us too.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:41 pm

That means so much. Everyone's sympathies are soothing. Thank you.

Also, I forgot to mention that Avian and Exotics Animal Hospital and Dr. Cecile are amazing. If only I could describe how gently and tenderly he picked up and carried Deuce's remains back with him. I'm glad that's the last time I saw his body, and he was being treated so kindly.

He now rests in peace in our Aunt's back garden with plenty of parsley and a full water syringe. Feeding him every couple of hours became such a big part of our lives these past few days that we needed to do that last bit on Earth to make sure he's never hungry or thirsty again.

Thank you all so much. I hope you know that what you do here saves lives, improves lives, and gives comfort to me, and I'm sure so many others.

keepawayfromhershey

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Oh Ketus, I'm so sorry.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:40 pm

I am so sad about Deuce. Thank you for posting all about his final hours and the wonderful treatment he received from you and from the vet. It is so good to hear about those caring individuals that make hard times even a little easier.

Becky

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:50 pm

OK, I'm crying now. Yes, you put it so very well. Animals of all kinds, especially helpless ones like guinea pigs, do teach us so much.

I'm very sorry you lost him. Kidney failure does seem to be a peaceful way for them to go. That's what happened to my Cookie. She just quietly faded away.

I'm glad you allowed the necropsy. It answered questions for you and for future pigs as well.

There are lots and lots of piggies in California that could use a wonderful caregiver like the two of you. When you're ready, it would be a great tribute to Deuce.

dribble

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:07 pm

Some stories on this board really grab at my heart and Deuce's was one of them. I felt a shock of sadness at his loss and I'm crying along with Becky. I'm very sorry.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:16 pm

We're glad that Deuce has made such a difference. I'm honored to be able to relate his story.

If Lynx approves, I might clean this all up and put it in the reference section. I wonder if others should know that some battles are worth fighting, even if the end isn't the perfection hoped for?

I look back at the first post and marvel at how easy I thought it was going to be. I thought the worst trouble would be changing antibiotics. Life often has different plans.

Becky

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:22 pm

If you had told me four years ago I'd be this involved with and relatively well educated about guinea pigs, I probably would have hummed the theme from The Twilight Zone in my head.

You're stuck now. Just admit it.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:54 pm

I feel for you and your loss. Rest in peace little Deuce.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:11 pm

How touching.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:13 pm

Thank you so much, everyone. Its truely amazing how much better I feel. I can't wait until tomorrow when its even easier. I'm flooded with memories of when he was healthy and full of love. Even though the past month might as well have been a year, it seems so far away. Now if I would only stop looking for him in the cage.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:14 pm

You'll never forget him, I'm sure.

A case history would be most welcome. Complete treatment and medical details would certainly aid other people.