Not pooping/eating after URI

NicoleT

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:34 pm

My 9 week old boy pig has been on antibiotics for a week now for a URI. I thought I was going to lose him a few nights ago, but he seemed to get better. When I took him to the vets on Friday his temp was back down to normal (it was 104.7 a few days earlier) and his lungs sounded clear. She then took his temp rectally. Since then, he has only pooped a few pieces--even when he was on his death bed, he pooped a decent amount. He is eating, but mostly only in the morning and I am also syringe feeding him critical care. Could the temp taking have caused an impaction or something?? I have an appt with the vet on Monday. I am worried that this is why he is not eating.

lisam

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:42 pm

I don´t know--if anything mine go more after having their temp taken. What did the poop he has had so far look like? Is he drinking any water? Perhaps he is dehydrated. I would keep syringing him Critical Care, as long as he keeps pooping at all. Have you tried fresh wet grass?

Hopefully Pinta or Josephine or Evangeline or Lynx can get on here and give you more advice.

pinta

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2002 7:55 pm

No, I don´t think the thermometer could affect him.

He needs to eat all day. If he´s just eating mostly in the morning he is going too long without food. Could be the food in his intestine just hasn´t made it out yet. Are you sure he isn´t eating some of his poops? And the ones you´ve seen, were they plump and shiny? Or misshapened and like rat turds, a sign of dehydration.

Keep handfeeding him and syringing fluids down. Give him a poop from a healthy pig to replace his gut flora. Mash it in water and syringe down - once a day should do it while he´s on ABs.

Watch for bloat - a tight swollen tummy. If that happens, get him to a vet immediately for Reglan.

If his tummy is normal and "squishy", he´s probably fine and just needs more food.