Blind, deaf, and toothless baby Einstein-piggy

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:59 am

Oh, no. Same place?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:24 am

That's rotten. I'm sorry for you and Einie.

lisam

Post   » Mon May 02, 2005 10:32 am

How's it going?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon May 02, 2005 11:16 am

He has an appointment with Dr. Stuart at 2.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon May 02, 2005 12:02 pm

Good luck. I'm sorry it seems to be back.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon May 02, 2005 3:18 pm

He got it drained, and he also had little abscesses in his tear ducts, which the vet cleared out. He now has Baytril and some triple antibiotic ointment, which is for his eye.

Robyn3939
Lethal Lover

Post   » Mon May 02, 2005 3:21 pm

Eww...Einy what is going on? Maybe that is why his widdle eyes are gunky. I'm sending you sweet peachy thoughts Einy.

lisam

Post   » Mon May 02, 2005 3:51 pm

Is he on an antibiotic, and if so, which one?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon May 02, 2005 5:31 pm

Oral Baytril and ophthalmic triple antibiotic.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon May 02, 2005 5:55 pm

One thing is kind of weird though. He wants me to clean the wound out with a Q-tip soaked in diluted tincture of iodine (1 part iodine, 10 parts water). I've never heard of using plain iodine, instead of Betadine/chlorhexidine gluconate. I asked him about the chlorhex and he said we might use that later, but now he wanted the iodine. The iodine bottle at the store said it was for external use only, and for minor cuts and scrapes. So what do I do??

lisam

Post   » Mon May 02, 2005 5:58 pm

I don't know. I remember using an iodine mix on an abscess on a mare's neck (recommended by the vet), and the irritation was so intense that she almost went crazy--thrashing around and wild eyed and such. I washed it out asap.

Perhaps the 10 to 1 dilution is mild enough?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon May 02, 2005 6:05 pm

Wish I had some solid advice for you, Salana. I'm sorry you have to deal with this yet again.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri May 06, 2005 9:52 pm

The good news: I've been diligently flushing and swabbing out Einstein's cheek and giving him his Baytril, and he hasn't had any pus all week.

The bad news: the pus he did have was cultured and it was full of Pasturella.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Fri May 06, 2005 9:57 pm

Ack! Ack! How did he get that?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri May 06, 2005 10:02 pm

No idea, unless it was at the vet's office. He hasn't been around any other animals. Neither have I. How transmissible is pasturella?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri May 06, 2005 10:05 pm

I'm pretty sure it's very contagious salana. I'm sorry. If the abcess is kept in tact hopefully he won't spread it to the others. Maybe your vet would have more insight.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri May 06, 2005 10:10 pm

Um, Holly, he had the abscess drained on Monday.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri May 06, 2005 10:21 pm

Is it starting to heal?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri May 06, 2005 10:21 pm

Geez. Poor Einey. I think there are different strains of pasturella. I hope this one is less contageous and will clear up.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri May 06, 2005 10:27 pm

There's no pus, but there's some grayish film over much of the inside of the incision. It doesn't come off when flushed or swabbed and has the texture of connective tissue. It doesn't smell or anything. He has some blood and serum that oozes out when pressure is applied around the incision. The area immediately around it is slightly harder and raised, but there don't seem to be any abscess compartments in there and his skin isn't any redder around it. Every time I flush it out, he then forms a scab out of the blood and serum stuff.

His previous abscess was Staphylococcus aureus that wasn't resistant to very many antibiotics, although it took forever to get out of his face. This one was cut much deeper and was flushed out very thoroughly at the vet's.

758 posts