Humidity/Heat Hurting Pigs???

Diann

Post   » Sat May 07, 2005 10:59 am

Good morning, everyone. Currently it's 67 degrees and 72 percent humidity in Des Moines Iowa. Inside the house it's about 72 degrees, and it feels very humid. I know that pigs are not suppose to get too hot, but what does the humidity factor do to them? I really don't want to turn on the air conditioner; but want the best for her too.

Is there anyone else on this site that deals with humidity and heat...what do you do? Is there something I can do that would keep her safe?

Thanks for your help!

Diann

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sat May 07, 2005 11:09 am

If it's anything under 75, I usually place a fan in the other room and point it to the ceiling that it will reflect a slight breeze in their room. Then I place the tiles in the cage, they can lay on them if they warm. The tiles will be cool.

Over 75, I would suggest turning on the air.

Tiles you can get at home depot or such stores. I'm going to have mine glazed to food standards and bottom can not absorb and mildew.

onmiwei

Post   » Sat May 07, 2005 11:21 am

I just moved to a place with high humidity. I worried about that too.

last summer when it got too hot (I lived in the Seattle area so really it didn't get THAT hot) I put ice packs under their fleece where they couldn't get to them. I used zip lock baggies with ice cubes just incase some how the stuff inside those blue Ice packs leaked. I also did this on our drive from WA to TN in Aug. The pigs at first were wondering what the hard lumps were under the fleece but soon they realized they could lay on it and get cool. They would fight over who got to the lumps first. My peruvian would kick the other one off her ice pack when hers melted.

Diann

Post   » Sat May 07, 2005 11:29 am

Thanks for the quick ideas. I am also worried if the humidity affects them like it affects me; or if I should just be concerned about temp.

I am a very new pig owner, but have fallen totally in love. I haven't switched to fleece, and am not too sure how to go about it. I bet Grace would love it though because she loves her fleece chair.

Since I am still using aspen (just switched from Carefresh because it is too dusty), how would I keep her from getting to the ice packs? Would it be safer to just use crushed ice...but what if she/bedding got wet? I guess I can wrap it in a towel and put it on top of her chair. :> Is she smart enough (forgive me) to not lay on the cold ice towel if she got too cold?

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sat May 07, 2005 11:37 am

Easy one first, there is alot of fleece threads here, before asking, do some searching and reading. I'm sure there is alot!

Humidity, I've always kept a general rule. If it's comfortable for you, it's probably ok for them. But from things I've read, (think I'm recalling right been long night) pigs do better with low mositure.
Someone step in on that one please!!

Um, are you smart enough to move off a cold pad? lol. Sorry :P
No harm ment there.

Diann

Post   » Sat May 07, 2005 11:57 am

I knew I shouldn't have asked that silly question about her being smart enough. I just didn't want to make her uncomfortable. Thanks for not being too hard on me. :>

onmiwei

Post   » Sat May 07, 2005 12:15 pm

That is a good idea for the chair with a towel wrapped ice pack... I also heard someone else use a plastic water bottle that they froze water in and just put it in the cage. The pigs would sleep around it. I did the ice packs mainly because I knew I was moving across the country. I had to think of something I didn't have to freeze and get to easily. Ice from the cooler and zip lock bags. They did leak at times and the pigs did move ;)

VitaWright

Post   » Sat May 07, 2005 12:33 pm

Last year we lost our electricity for a week due to the hurricanes. It was in the 90's everyday and high humidity. We had a generator running the fridge so I put frozen water bottles in the cage at least twice a day and sometimes more. They did well.

oftheshire1401

Post   » Sat May 07, 2005 12:52 pm

I've have used the frozen water bottles as well. When I was still using wood-shaving bedding, I liked the bottles because they could easily be washed off and re-used (all that bedding would stick from the condensation and make a bit of a mess). The piggies loved the bottles, and would stretch up along side of them. Sooey would enjoy licking the water off them also. =) I eventually had to quit using them, however, because my Olive decided she enjoyed chewing the bottoms off and flooding the cage... the little bugger. =)

Diann

Post   » Sat May 07, 2005 12:54 pm

I'mso glad to hear that there are other solutions other than turning on the air conditioner early in the spring. :>

I was worried about Grace getting wet from the sweating ice bag/bottle, etc. I have never bathed her (she's only four months old) because I didn't think it was good for them to be wet. She smells so sweet and wonderful too. I love that warm animal/dusty smell. I just burry my face in her hair and listen to her little wheeks. It is so calming to come home to her.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat May 07, 2005 9:03 pm

You'll have to post a picture of your little sweetie. Getting a bit wet from frozen bottles isn't a problem.

Now's the time to bring up how much you and Grace would like another sweet sow to keep both of you company! On the Placement Forum there have been posts about pigs in Iowa/Des Moines. Somewhere there is a pig in need, just waiting for you and Grace!

Diann

Post   » Sun May 08, 2005 10:42 am

I will admit my ignorance of gps. I had never held one until this February, when I bought one for my 11 year old's birthday. We have a 130 lb. labrador and she wanted another puppy. We said NO, but she wanted something small to hold and cuddle. A cat wasn't an option because husband is allergic. So, we got Cuddles, our first gp, and I fell in love. We got Grace about two weeks later because we learned they liked company. AND, then another two weeks later Cuddles died. Within this month, we'd taken Cuddles back to PetSmart (I didn't know better) because she sneezed and I'd heard sneezing was bad. They said she was fine. that she needed a crusty nose and eyes to have a URI. We took Grace back to another Petsmart (still hadn't learned anything about where to get gp) because her eye was matted shut, and took Cuddles to an vet that had a lot of "experience with gps" because she had what looked like a seizure. and was given an antibotic for a possible inner ear infection (don't remember what). It was a lot of stress for us that had fallen love with these little critters. Cuddles had another "episode" and died. It was very very hard. By now, Grace had a runny nose and was sneezing. She had crusty nose and the vet gave her (bactril). She got better and we decided to take some time off to relax and just spoil Grace. We did eventually get another GP -- didn't do the quarantee thing -- and she was a bully and I just couldn't stand to have Grace intimidated until they worked it out. So we took her back and we;ve had Grace solo. I know it'd be good for her, but honestly I enjoy the nonstress and the ability to totally devote my attention to her only. I am selfesh right now....will eventually get one, but am certainly afraid.

I apologize the the length of this note. I guess I used it as an opportunity to introduce myself, my ignorance and desire to learn because I truly LOVE gps.

I also love listening and learning from all of you.

I'll try to figure out how to post a pic of Grace.