Young, ill pig

pinta

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2002 6:51 am

If she´s passing blood it could very well be a urinary tract infection. Is she on a sulfa drug? Like Bactrim. Sulfa drugs are great for UTIs.

Is the blood in the pee? Does she strain when she pees? keep her on a white towel to monitor her output.

Since she is so young Baytril is not recommended.

Are you giving her vitamin C?

Does she appear to be in any pain?

Ziggypiggy

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2002 7:21 am

I managed to get hold of the vet and took her to the surgery. The vet gave her another injectin of Baytril and gave me 5 days supply of it to give her twice a day. I have to give her 0.07mls twice a day. She also gave her a huge injection of fluids, although the vet said she did not seem to be dehydrated as I have been giving her fluids. The vet said the blood is definately not in the pee.

She is very bright and perky and her appetite seems to be back to normal. The vet said the fact she is so bright and perky is a good sign as is the fact she is eating again. She also told me to give her vitamin C drops, but I have run out of mine and the pet shops are closed. My uncle gives his pigs a small amount of orange squash in their water for vitamin C - is it ok to do this?

Thanks for your advice. I will keep you posted.

P.s. She is walking normally again as well. The vet said she was probably walking funny because she would have a pretty sore bottom.

pinta

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2002 7:32 am

Just give her a portion of a vitamin C pill. It doesn´t have to be for pets. The squash isn´t going to do it. Give her parsley - that´s high in C and calcium.

Baytril is not recommended for young animals because it can interfere witrh their growth.

Bactrim, Chloramphenicol and Doxycycline are all safe for young pigs.

Baytril is usually a "last resort" drug with baby animals.

Ziggypiggy

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2002 12:01 pm

Update - It looks as if the diahorrea and blood have stopped in the last few hours. Fingers crossed it doesn´t start again.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2002 1:45 pm

Ziggy-
I don´t think you understand. Baytril is NOT for young animals. It would be better to switch to something safe for her bones and joints.

pigpal

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2002 4:33 pm

Sadly, Alicia´s pig died today. I´m sorry.

pinta

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:41 pm

so am I.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:23 pm

That´s sad. I´m sorry.

Ziggypiggy

Post   » Wed Mar 13, 2002 2:27 am

I think she may have had a stroke. She started lolling around on her side and couldn´t get back up. She was also gasping for breath. It was over in seconds. Thank you all for your advice over the last few days. I really appreciate it.
Last edited by Ziggypiggy on Wed Mar 13, 2002 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:55 am

That sounds like "paddling". Almost like running on the spot. It might have been a stroke but it sounds more like death throes. Apparently they don´t feel it when they are at that point but it is awfully hard to witness. Mine are in my arms at that point and I have had to hold them tightly.

I´m sorry she didn´t make it. It is always hard to lose them. I wish it could have turned out differently.

Jill

Post   » Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:39 am

So sorry to hear your sad news.

dinomom

Post   » Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:32 am

Thank you to all who answered the SOS and tried to help Poppy.

dinomom