Help! Overheated pig

piggie parent

Post   » Wed May 18, 2005 3:35 pm

I just got a call from a lady that left her pig on the poarch and came out to find it limp but barely breathing. Is there anything she can do? She is 45 mins from a cavy vet and has called a friend to come and get her to take her to the vet ASAP

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Wed May 18, 2005 3:48 pm

Gees, cool water bottles?

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed May 18, 2005 3:51 pm

Wrap in a damp blanket? And syringe feed room temperature water? I think just getting her off the porch would help her start to recover.

piggie parent

Post   » Wed May 18, 2005 3:58 pm

Thanks. I haven't had to deal with this since my pigs only go outside when it is less than 80 and even then they are shaded.
Thanks guys for all the info. I am telling her as we speak

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed May 18, 2005 4:27 pm

Syringe pedilyte to restore electrolytes. I'd have the vet sub-q fluids asap.

piggie parent

Post   » Wed May 18, 2005 4:29 pm

Ok I just heard from her again. The friend says it will be an hour before she is ready. She says she is worried about trying to do the water because it may get into his lungs. She also says his eyes are fixed and he hasn't made any type of movement.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed May 18, 2005 4:38 pm

He has no hope unless he is rehydrated. It may be too late but she should at least try.

melcvt00

Post   » Wed May 18, 2005 4:41 pm

Soak him in rubbing alcohol. It evaporates quickly, and lowers temp fast. Either that, or ice water.

melcvt00

Post   » Wed May 18, 2005 4:41 pm

Granted, I don't know how much hope there is for this pig.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 18, 2005 4:44 pm

The sun is terribly hot. A seeming pleasant day of 65 or 70 degrees can kill a pig if you leave it in the sun.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed May 18, 2005 4:44 pm

I echo the water, and to get him into a cool (but not cold - shock) place immediately. We saved one pig of four after putting him in the shade, wetting him with water and getting some cool water into him. Rainbow was very limp and nearly unresponsive when Mom found him.

I hope it's not too late for her pig.

piggie parent

Post   » Wed May 18, 2005 6:25 pm

Well I just spoke to the vet. He said the pig is hanging in there but it don't look good. He has him on an iv. The pig is breathing and has a strong heart beat but that is about it. He is still unresponsive to being touched even around the eye area. He also says that there could be major brain damage even if he makes it.