mites/sore/labored breathing/skinny

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 10, 2005 10:46 pm

See www.guinealynx.info/medicatons.html#lasix and follow the link to marvistavet.

LER

Post   » Tue May 10, 2005 11:03 pm

Reading this from the website:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_furosemide.html
"Furosemide is associated with an increase in blood sugar levels. This is not a problem for most patients but a different diuretic may be a better choice for a diabetic patient."

Makes me definitely want to wait on the blood work results since diabetes is on our suspect list. We drew blood on the 2nd so the resultsreally ought to be in now or soon.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed May 11, 2005 12:44 am

Where'd you send the blood? Usually I get results within 12-24 hours.

Something like 150 grams of weight gain is concerning. My heart pig was in CHF to cause such a weight gain in him. Waiting long periods of time may cost you dearly with diuretic and/or heart issues. Usually, if edema is present, I would push for Lasix within 12 hours if heart is suspected. Hmmmm.... It's hard to say since you're still waiting on lab results. I just wish I had started Lasix sooner on my pig. I started as soon as the edema occured, but by that time things were really serious.

LER

Post   » Wed May 11, 2005 12:52 am

That's extra frustrating that it's taking so long then! I'll be angry if the results are back and sitting in a folder waiting for them to get around to calling me! Depending on what we see in the results, he (and Kirk) are going to go to Angell for further work. Like i said, it depends on what we see in the bloodwork - hopefully that will give us a clear indication of what we are dealing with here. I'm not sure where they sent it but I think Idexx.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed May 11, 2005 12:58 am

Hmmm... Is it local? Idexx has offices/labs all over the country. I know our local lab is about an hour drive, so it's really close. They get the samples within 6-12 hours of the average clinic taking the blood.

Don't expect the bloodwork to be the end-all. It may be completely normal if it's a heart problem and not kidney! Even kidney stuff has to be severe for it to turn up in the bloodwork. It should rule out infections, certain cancers, etc. It should at least tell you if the pig should tolerate the Lasix better. Or enalapril. He should be on both if it is heart at this stage.

LER

Post   » Wed May 11, 2005 1:04 am

If we don't get a clear answer from the bloodwork, I'm sending him to Michelle to take him to Angell for me - my vet can give us a referral. [If that ends up happening, we will gladly accept donations from anyone interested in helping out, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.]

LER

Post   » Fri May 13, 2005 10:48 pm

I wanted to update, the boys are now with Michelle thanks to my boss (she wanted me to work on Sunday, and was going to Boston today, so I agreed to work if she agreed to take the piggies ;~) They have an appointment on Wednesday at Angell!!

mab0615

Post   » Thu May 19, 2005 6:28 am

Back from the vets. x-rays are scheduled for next week. The radiologist wasn't there.

Kirk: No vision in his right eye most likely from a previous trauma. There's a protrusion thru the pupil and no lens. There's also new blood vessels on sclera. Slight redness on his hind legs. His lungs and heart sound fine but will know for sure after next week. He still has slight wheezing but no dischard from eyes or nose. She gave me Flurbiprofen ophsol .03% for his eye. Twice a day for ten days.

Fuzzy: The swelling on the abdomen feels like a subcutaneous mass. It's probally a lipoma (fat) but won't know for sure til the x-ray. He also had a previous eye trauma to the cornea but his is healing. She gave me Neo/Poly/Gram Ophth solution. 3 times a day for 10 days. Generalized edema in hind feet and diffused swelling of hind legs. She thinks one of the legs was fractured before. She also thinks he could have a metabolic bone problem. She will check his bone density next week. The wound is healing nicely she said. She did give me Silvadene cream to put on. Would this harm him if he licked it?

I thinks that's about it for now. They will also do blood work next week to check his sugar level when they do the x-ray. She also had a picture of my Rodney in her office. I felt proud...lol

pinta

Post   » Thu May 19, 2005 8:40 am

Are they suspecting heart with Fuzzy? Or kidney issues? What breed is he?

mab0615

Post   » Thu May 19, 2005 11:40 am

Possibly kidneys with the amount of water he drinks. Here's a couple of pictures of him. I'm gonna guess a peruvian mix of some sort. Maybe even a satin. He's in dire need of a bath which they'll get this weekend. He also has a couple of deformed toes/ nails in the front. The nails aren't centered in the toes and point to the sides.

lisam

Post   » Thu May 19, 2005 12:34 pm

Yes, he's a satin, which could definitely mean calcium problems.

pinta

Post   » Thu May 19, 2005 6:59 pm

Print off the bone density thread in reference and give it to your vet.