Josephine (or others who have used Cipro)

imanut4u

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2002 11:54 pm

Good to see you!

Do you know anything about Cipro in cavies? What´s it normally prescribed to treat?

I tried to search out info on CG and only found 6 threads. Girl on Acme is using this med for what I suspect to be URI though the vet didn´t give a specific diagnosis and the "slave" thinks it´s "just a cold".

Any input on this?
Pig has nasal discharge that he´s wiping on his leg but the lungs are clear, no goopy eyes or clicky breathing.

Just curious myself.
Thx

pinta

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2002 12:01 am

I think Cara has used it and I recently was using the eye drop version for Zag. It´s related to Baytril as I understand it, although Josephine had better confirm.

imanut4u

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2002 12:03 am

Didn´t find it on Squeaks page which raised my eyebrow. Hmm --- maybe it´s one of those not frequently prescribed.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2002 12:28 am

It´s newer and quite costly. Many still have problems with the price of Baytril!

I don´t have a dosage for cavies. It is indeed a fluroquinolone like Baytril (enrofloxacin). Side effects are similar. Arthropathy (joint malformation) is common in young animals. I also see from a glance that crystalluria, sometimes with secondary nephropathy (kidney problems, including crystals) is a side effect.

Likewise, I don´t have any literature for cavies and very little on other animals. Perhaps it will become more commonplace in the future. There´s also orbifloxacin out as well. Same story. $$$

Here´s a site I found on a quick search. It lists susceptible organisms, for the microbiologists out there! Some are even ones found as problems in cavies.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/cipro_cp.htm
Last edited by Josephine on Sat Jan 05, 2002 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

cmtigger

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:09 am

Isn´t Cipro one of the anitibiotics reccommended for anthrax?

pinta

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2002 3:22 am

Yes it is - Doxycycline too.

Cara

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2002 10:57 am

I just saw this thread. I´ve used Cirpo on two pigs with frequent bladder infections. I can´t remember the exact dosage but for a 2.2 lb pig I think it was 0.25 cc´s twice a day or maybe just once a day. The last bladder infection we had I couldn´t get the Cirpo for less than 100.00. If the pharamacy doesn´t have it in stock and available for small perscrips, it´s extremely expensive to order it. We went with Bactrim. I liked to Cirpo b/c they took with no fussing, apparently they liked the taste of it and it seemed to work quickly on removing the blood from their urine.