Male with bladder stone--need a good vet

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:14 pm

There was a sow (larger ureters) that seemed to have passed the stone sometime before the surgery. Bones can hide things but it sounds like your vet was being very thorough. If sludge is a problem, subcues may help.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:00 pm

If the technician was paying attention to the pelvic area he/she would have possibly seen what was possibly hidden on ultrasound.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:50 pm

Peppi is back home, no surgery. I brought the original x-rays to the vet, and while he agreed it looked like a stone, 2 different side views taken at 2 different times yesterday afternoon showed no more evidence of one. I didn't see the ultrasound, but they were very thorough and I can't believe it could have been missed with everything that was done.

We're guessing it was just a collection of sludge or crystals that he passed that first night, which would explain why there is no more blood in his pee or screaming while he's peeing. We may take him back in for another x-ray in a couple weeks and see if anything new has formed. We've been following Becky's diet for the majority of their veggies, so if he keeps having trouble we'll have to try something else, like SQs or polycitra.

I still have concerns though, because Peppi isn't totally back to normal. Possibilities?:

1) He's still having tummy trouble from antibiotic intolerance. We decided to stop Bactrim after his Monday morning dose because he was barely eating. He's eating more now, but not as well as usual. I'm also seeing very few poops. Yesterday I noticed he was eating them all.

2) Maybe he needs more antibiotics due to irritation of the bladder and still feels crummy. He only had Bactrim for about 3 days, and I know that's not enough to clear up an infection if he has one. What antibiotic could we switch him to? I thought Baytril was tougher on their system. Is Doxycylene worth a try?

3) On the x-rays the vet noticed he has some arthritis in his hips and back legs. He doesn't bunny hop or hobble, and he still stands on the bars of his cage, but this could be bothering him, maybe?

4) Teeth? Lately he's been chewing on the towel in his cage a lot, and ripping up the paper grocery bags we line the cage with before we dump in the Carefresh. But he has no trouble eating when we watch him, and he eats his veggies so fast he always runs over and steals from Chester! He's such a bully!

I think we may take him in for another overall check-up to try to get to the bottom of this. Sorry for the long post! I'm so worried about this guy. He's been sleeping a lot lately. I hope this isn't "just old age."

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:36 pm

Check over the signs of pain on the surgery page. Sorry I don't have much in the way of ideas for you. Have you discussed with the vet stopping antibiotics?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:39 pm

I'd try metacam and daily subQ's.

pinta

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:25 am

Some pigs are fine with Baytril and not fine with other ABs. It's worth trying. Your vet would know if Doxycycline is a possibility.

Daily hydration subcues could also be helpful.

For arthritis, I'd recommend Rimadyl.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:49 pm

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. We have an appointment on Monday and I'll be sure to ask about SQs and Rimadyl.

Peppi is feeling much better since yesterday! We talked with the vet and found out the culture the emergency vets had taken last weekend was negative. So he advised not to worry about continuing antibiotics, and that he thought it still sounded like Peppi's system was still messed up from the few days we had him on Bactrim. We had been giving some acidophilus powder on his veggies, but we also started to syringe him a whole bunch dissolved in water, and it seemed to help him get his appetite back. He's finally back to his old habits!

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:46 pm

Back again to this thread, over a year later. Please note, we no longer "need a good vet!"

On Monday, Peppi (now 6-7 years old) was taken to the vet for blood in his urine. He had an x-ray, and has a rather large stone in his bladder, luckily not close to the urethra. He has not had an x-ray since the last stone scare, so we have no idea how long this had been here. Currently we have him on Bactrim, since the vet thought the stone had begun to irritate his bladder and cause infection. We're also giving Metacam as needed.

Peppi is scheduled for stone removal surgery on Monday the 14th. Now here is our dilemma: the reason his surgery is so far off, is we're going on a business trip next week that we can't cancel. He seems to be doing ok for now, but we're really concerned about waiting so long, and he still has blood in his urine, and occassional crying while peeing. The surgeon may be able to squeeze him in tomorrow, but I'm worried that the 5 days we'll have for his aftercare before we go out of town will be too short. Either way, we will be leaving him with someone who will take good care of him, but I hate to think of the added burden of caring for a recovering pig.

So what I really need is expert advice! Should we get the surgery tomorrow and only have the 5 days to give him the proper aftercare ourselves, or wait until the 14th, when we'll have as much time as needed to aid his recovery?

Becky

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:52 pm

Five days is a good amount of time to monitor him post-surgery, in my opinion. He'll be much more comfortable once the stone is out. By five days, he'll be eating and pooping like a champ, so it'll mainly be watching the incision. Since he'll need to stay quiet and confined, it shouldn't be too much extra trouble for his caretaker.

If you feel confident about the person taking care of him after that, I'd do it now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:55 pm

My amateur opinion is to have the operation and provide 5 days of good care. I think he'll recover okay in that time though he won't be completely recovered.

Check twowhitepiggies recent thread. I don't remember how many days post op they are but their pig seems to be doing okay.

It is possible there will be complications.

People who have been through this may have better advice.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:44 pm

Hey capybara - I know I'm three hours away but, if you chose to do the surgery right away, I can take him and watch him while you are gone to monitor his condition. I've had lots of experience with bladder stones and surgery (unfortanetly).

caregiver

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:30 pm

I faced a similar dilemma when facing a surgery for one of my pigs at age five a number of years back. Had a work/travel committment and would only have a limited amount of time to give him post-care, about the same as you mention, 5 days....following which family members would come stay and take over.

As distressful as it was to leave him, I am very glad I opted not to wait. The longer we wait, the more complicated a surgery and post-recovery time can become. Of course I called at least 2x daily for updates, weigh in reports and to give further instructions... !