Elsie's ugly teeth

lisam

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:56 pm

Sometimes in horses a temporary cap doesn't shed, and the newer permanent tooth grows up behind it. Guinea pigs, however, don't have "baby teeth", do they?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:58 pm

Not that we know...

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:08 pm

Okay, here's a very blurry pic that I got last night. If you look at her teeth closely you will see a "third" tooth on the left.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:13 pm

I see why you were worried about the discoloration. When your friend comes this weekend, if you can get better lighting (higher light levels make for more detailed pics), that would improve the pics too.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:29 pm

The discoloration is actually what brought my attention to her teeth. There is a big gap between the two front teeth in which a lot of debris was stuck.

I was able to scrape a lot of that brown gunk off and now since she saw the vet today they are clean. I thought there was more gunk behind her teeth but I was mistaken!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:21 pm

Pinta, have you ever encountered something like this?

pinta

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:58 am

I can't see the extra tooth in the pic.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:10 am

Actually, the extra set of teeth are behind the front teeth.
However, in this pic you can see a part of one on the left.

I'll try and get better pics this weekend however the vet trimmed all the teeth so it may not show up as well in a photo unless I can get a good close up. I'll try.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:27 am

I wasn't able to get a good pic.

Elsie's front right tooth appears to be growing crooked. It's beginning to lean to the left. That you can see in the pic.

Will she need to keep having her teeth trimmed? If the vet has a buccal pad separator can she trim them without sedating Elsie?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:47 pm

Hey, maybe look into a set of buccal pad separators and files for yourself. A link to the order page is here:
www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html

Filing them down is safer than clipping and perhaps with some help you could even manage yourself. Because this seems to be an incisor problem, I'll bet you could manage. Eh?

pinta

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:31 pm

I would really recommend dental xrays. Teeth don't just suddenly start growing crooked. There is usually a reason.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:01 pm

Lynx, I'd be afraid of cracking them!! O:(

I'm going to wait it out this time and see if she develops a problem eating. Does that sound reasonable? However, if she has to go back again I am wondering if the procedure can be done without anesthesia with use of the buccal pad separator. Guess it can if you're telling me I can do it myself!

Pinta, according to the vet, the tooth is growing crooked because the xtra teeth behind are pushing on it. Those xtra teeth are the same length as her front teeth. What the vet did was just trim them all down.