Satins and bone loss--Attn: Hollister families

Becky

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:42 pm

Elvis is my neutered male from the Hollister rescue nearly three years ago. (Known at the time as the Lion King.)

Beginning about last October, I noticed a very slight, gradual trend of losing weight. Since it was so gradual and nothing else seemed amiss, I didn't worry too much about it. By April, though, the difference started being half ounces instead of eight or quarter ounces, so I became even more watchful.

About a week ago, he really started acting lethargic and seemed to be hopping more than walking. Everything else about his behavior was fine. Eating well, interacting with the other pigs, drinking well.

My first thought was heart, but since he's a satin, my next thought was Pinta's Shiraz and her loss of bone density.

We headed to the vet today, armed with yet another reference thread from GL. Dr. N. said his heart sounded good. His teeth also looked great. When I mentioned the bone density issue, he felt his back legs for a long time, then felt my companion pig's legs and said Elvis' legs didn't feel right. The knees were a strange shape and he felt ridges along his leg bones.

X-rays revealed serious pitting of his bones and severe arthritis in his knees.

The plan is daily calcium lactose, supplement with 50 mg Vit. C daily and o.15 mls metacam suspension twice a day for a week, then daily as needed. Hopefully, we can at least stop any more loss of bone and make him more comfortable.

We discussed the idea of satins being more prone to this problem. He said he'd seen it in other breeds, but they either were rescues in pretty bad shape overall or there were problems with diet.

Since I know Elvis gets a balanced Ca:Ph diet, plenty of dietary Vit. C and sufficient calcium (I don't limit calcium in their diet, even with another pig with sludge), my vet was pretty interested in the notion of it being heriditary and/or breed specific.

Since we know Elvis was a major breeder for the Hollister pigs, he was also interested in finding out if any of the pigs we suspect were fathered by Elvis had the same issues.

If you have a Hollister pig that is a satin or looks like Elvis could be the father, he'd love to know if there are x-rays for comparison or any similar problems. I'll post his picture as soon as I finish this post.

Becky

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:46 pm

He has a pretty distinctive look. (Handsome, too, but I'm a bit prejudiced.)

Becky

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:48 pm

...and just 'cuz it's all about him, here's a pic in the Santa hat Teresa gave him.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:22 pm

Elvis is wicked good-looking. It will be interesting if any of his pups display similar problems (satin or not).

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:28 pm

I had a satin sow with terrible bones. We didn't pursue treatment at the time as she had worse issues (teeth). It is interesting if this pans out.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:20 pm

Wow, Becky, love that pig! Snowflakey hit it on the head with the wicked good looks. What a stud.

Guinea pigs aren't exposed to sun much and I am guessing the vitamin D they get (which is essential for bone building) comes primarily from pelleted food that includes it as an additive. I know it would have to be dosed carefully as excess D can also cause problems.

Do you plan on giving extra vitamin D too? I'm sure you also remember the info on supplementary C causing arthritis problems in guinea pigs. Would natural sources be better and no supplementation (I'll bet he was getting enough -- the studies looked specifically at guinea pigs and the effect of C on developing arthritis)?

Becky

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:35 pm

Oh, I forgot to add...he thought Pinta's vet's idea of 10 minutes a day in the sun was a good one. I set up a portable pen in the back yard and took everyone out there for a while today. They loved it.

You know, I had forgotten about the Vit C link and arthiritis. I'll give him a call about that. And yes, I'm sure he gets plenty of C daily. I actually picked up some alfalfa today. I thought I'd let him have a bit of that every day. Any thoughts about that?

Josephine, that's really interesting about your sow. Yes, it will be interesting to see if there's a connection. Actually, LeeBee has what we think is his daughter, so Dr. N. said to have her in and he'll do x-rays, so maybe that will tell us something.

And wicked good looks, indeed. Hence, the name, Elvis.

Piggster

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:34 pm

My Derek is a 2 1/2 yr old red satin. I was aware of the bone density problems associated with the breed and was wondering if it may be beneficial to have x-rays at this stage in his life to see if there are any early issues?

Dr N is his vet too.

I got Derek from SF Animal Care and Control at four months of age.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:39 am

It would probably be good as a screening measure. You know, like dogs over 7 years of age should have chest rads every year to scan for cancer mets.

ottosmom

Post   » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:40 am

I fell in love with the Lion King when I saw him at the Penninsula Animal Shelter. I even cuddled him for awhile. :)

Sending hugs and well wishes to the big guy. My Hollister baby didn't quite make it to 3 years old. :( I don't think he was related to Elvis; he had short smooth hair.

Piggster

Post   » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:42 am

Thanks Josephine. I had heard about bone density tests but sounds like x-rays are were I should start.

Becky, Elvis is one gorgeous hunk of a boy!

deborah
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:48 am

Karen, a member here, is trying to organise a study of Osteodystrophy in satins with Desiree Riemersma-Soentjens, a rescue in the Netherlands. They are trying to interest a University to conduct a UK study. Information is here:

http://www.rspcareadingguineapigs.co.uk ... satins.htm