Boars together?

cindy29

Post   » Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:36 am

I have an intact male and two females.
They are in a 6 grid x 2 grid cubes cage with a small 2nd level.
It is divided in the middle so there is a boy side and a girls side.
I am thinking about getting a young/baby male as a companion for my boy.
Could anyone tell me if this will work. I dont want to create a problem.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:38 am

So then they would actually be in a 2x3, correct?

cindy29

Post   » Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:40 am

Yes each side is that size

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:46 am

The minimum is 7 1/2 square feet for two pigs and prefered is 10 1/2 square feet which is 2x4. I personally would get the companion and see if problems occur due to cage size and then go bigger if necessary. Otherwise with extra floor time I think they should be fine granted their personalities work together. Anyone else?

cindy29

Post   » Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:07 am

With the top level there is over 8 square feet per side.
I thought it was a good size cage for two piggies.
my boy was in a 12"x24" cage till I got the girls.
My family kept saying it was a huge cage while I was building it.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Dec 28, 2002 4:53 am

Cindy,

Generally, top levels are not counted in the total area of the cage, especially since support structures and ramps take away from bottom space.

I agree with Holly. I pair many boars together and it works well as long as they have enough cage space.

However, 2 pigs in a cage slightly too small is, I guess, better than one lonely pig by himself.

Just remember, 2 of everything! Lots of floor time! And if squabbling is continuous, take another look at the size of your cage. I always recommend that boars are housed in the 10 1/2 sq ft cube cage. Give it some thought, and meanwhile visit this site:

http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

cindy29

Post   » Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:13 pm

Yeah I read all of that already.
the boy can see and touch the girl through the bars
Do you think that if I get another boy that they will fight over the girls?

Wheekster

Post   » Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:20 pm

Hi Cindy!

Like you say if you had two boars living right next door to your girls they would end up fighting over them. I have two boars in one cage and two sows in another but they are at opposite ends of a very large room. I have never had any trouble with them so far as they can't actually see each other, although they can hear each other. Good luck with whatever you decide and Happy New Year!

Warm Wheeks, Jo.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:29 pm

Do you think that if I get another boy that they will fight over the girls?
Yes. Don't do it.

Any chance of neutering your boy and integrating him with the girls?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:29 pm

I didn't think they would fight as long as the boars and sows weren't in the same cage. I guess I'm mistaken.

yeah, that's a good idea...why don't you neuter your boar instead of getting a companion. That's what I'm going to do.

cindy29

Post   » Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:38 pm

I am think about that too
I am nervous about it though
I love my boy I dont want to hurt him
I called my dog vet and they gave me a vet that does guineas
$100 and the receptiontist said they have done a lot.
He would be so much happier if he could get to the girls

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:53 pm

ok, well you seem to have a few choices:

1) Leave them as is. Your boar is still getting company through the bars, although it's not *as* good as having an actual roomie.

2) Build another cage across the room or in another room to house 2 boars.

3) Neuter the male. Get some references from that vet and check him out! Ask him a lot of questions. Read this link on neutering: and finding a good vet.
http://www.guinealynx.com/links.html#neutering

However, keep in mind that you have NO GUARANTEE that neutering your male will make him compatible with those females. They may not accept him as a roomie--then what are you going to do?

Then again, you have no guarantee that your boar will get along with another boar (better chance if it is a baby, though).

So you will have to decide what is best for your boar. If you neutered him and they rejected him as a roomie, they might at least let him run with them at floor time.