Elsie's ugly teeth

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:59 pm

No, no, filing is gentle! Clipping is not and could crack them.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:25 pm

Here is a pretty good pic I was able to get of Elsie's teeth today. Pinta, can you see the xtra teeth now? So far she is eating well so I'm not inclined to do anything but I am worried about the future. Doesn't this look strange?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:35 pm

There sure is something going on. You say a second set of teeth (two extra teeth) behind the front two, right? By the way, do you think this is a somewhat recent development or do you think they've been this way for a long time but it's gone unnoticed?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:46 am

I think it went unnoticed for a long time. Yes, there's a second set of teeth behind the front two. I know it's hard to see because the brown gunk but they are there. The brown gunk is sitting on top of the 4 teeth. I keep trying to clean it off.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:29 am

It appears the back teeth are spread apart and kind of offset. Something like this?

--_ _--

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:49 pm

Here's a better photo taken today:Image

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:53 pm

Actually, the front teeth are more spread apart. That's why there's food collected there (the brown gunk). One tooth in the front is growing a bit crooked too. I'm sorry it's not clear in the pics.

Bottom line is that she has too many bottom teeth. I think at this point leaving well enough alone is the right thing to do. If she has problems eating then I'll have to bring her back to the vet. I'll ask for advice again if it comes to that point because I'm not sure putting her under and trimming all these teeth is the best that can be done for her.

But then again..how else does one deal with this problem??

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:58 pm

Great pic! I added it to this thread (I think you said that was okay?). I tend to agree with you -- so long as it is not interfering with eating and there is no infection, it should be fine. The teeth continually grow so dental carries should not be an issue.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:49 am

Update: One of those front, bottom teeth has grown so long and to the side she now needs attention again.

I stopped by the vets office with a pic. My regular vet is on vacation so the owner of the practice looked at it and said he can clip it. I don't want her going under anesthesia for this again. She's having it done tomorrow afternoon.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:18 am

If you can get another pic, that would be great.

If I remember correctly, it is just the bottom incisors that have another set of two incisors growing behind the original teeth and a little spread out.

Carol, I wonder if a file would work for you to keep it in check in the future. You'd need someone to help hold the pig I think though.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:55 am

Yes, it is the bottom tooth with the extra set.

I'll speak to the vet about using a file. I'm not sure I can do it, even with someone holding her. I just can't see it because her tongue is always there, especially when I am checking her teeth.

I have a pic but can't post it right now...I'll add it tonight!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:43 pm

Here's the photo I took this morning. You can see how much the one tooth has grown and how crooked. Elsie ate very well tonight so at least she can still eat. I hope all goes well tomorrow.

I'm going to insist on being the one to hold her for the procedure. These darn vets never let you participate!! I honestly believe she won't get as stressed if I'm the one holding her mouth open.