Correct Lasix dosage

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:44 pm

I believe it is labeled in dogs for every 12 hours. It can be given every 24, though. It depends on what the animal responds to.

pinta

Post   » Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:27 pm

Our pigs get Fortekor just once a day. It's not the same med as Enacard so my dosages won't help you.

Cara

Post   » Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:34 am

The 0.25 cc yesterday didn't show any improvement in her breathing. So I just gave her the 0.2 like the vet prescribed this am. I will ask him about it. He did prescribe it every 24 hours. Maybe every 12 would make a difference. Thanks for your opinions. We'll figure it out.

jenny

Post   » Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:38 pm

Cara, I know everything got so crazy with Squeeky, but how is Zipper? Any progress, I hope?

Cara

Post   » Sun Dec 29, 2002 10:18 am

Thanks for asking, jenny. Zipper is doing well. The vet said I will always see her breathing as more labored than normal. She is set on her medications and is active, eating well, and only gets the simethicone every few days to keep the air from her belly. We won't go to the vet again until it's been 6 months since starting the lasix for a bloodwork panel.

Cara

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:11 pm

Maybe I should never say my pigs are doing well because as soon as I do something happens.

I am taking Zipper into the vet tomorrow. I've noticed today she is less active, hanging out in the same spot all day. Her breathing is much more labored. She's eating well, taking her meds fine, eating hay and drinking normally.

I gave her the regular 0.2 cc's of the enacard this am along with the morning dose of 0.1 of the lasix. I just gave her 0.1 cc's of the enacard to see if it will help. She'll get the evening 0.1 dose of the lasix around 8pm.

She is maintaining her weight at 1.13 lbs.

Any thoughts from those of you with heart pigs?

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2003 7:29 pm

When Bloom has a bad day Oxygen helps enormously. Because we have so many senior pigs we invested in a portable oxygen tank with a variable regulator(about $375 Can). The vet loaned us a small snout attachment. We can also put the travel basket in a large clear garbage bag and feed her oxygen that way. I prefer holding the snout attachment over her face while she's on my lap. The last time she needed a session was probably more than a month ago. A couple of days with a couple of 15 minute sessions helped her over the hump. She hasn't needed one since(knock wood).

You can check with your vet to see if you can up the Lasix.

Cara

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2003 7:40 pm

Ok, I'll ask the vet about oxygen. Bad days are normal then? She's really puffing hard tonight. I think I'll also ask for another x-ray to make sure nothing about her heart has changed.

I hate it when I get these pit of my stomach feelings. I'll have bad dreams all night about Zipper.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:10 pm

Can you find out if you can up the Lasix tonight?

Yeah, bad days are normal. Heart pigs are also very susceptible to URIs that may not affect a healthy pig. Bloom had a very touch and go bout with a URI a couple of months ago. Maybe a steam humidifier would help her breathe.

Cara

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:43 pm

I tried calling the vet but it's New Years Day. I could up the lasix, was on 0.2 ccs twice daily before but we cut it back to 0.1 twice daily. How much more do you think I should give her tonight?

I also emailed you just now. I am starting to get concnered about her.
Last edited by Cara on Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:50 pm

Probably 0.2cc would be okay until you can contact the vet tomorrow.

Cara

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:58 pm

Ok, done deal. Thank you.