Correct Lasix dosage

Cara

Post   » Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:09 am

We just got back from the vet. Took 2 x-rays, they showed fluid in her lungs, more so than normal and contentrated in the upper part of the lungs. Her white blood cell count was 15,000, normally 7,000. Vet put her on Septra. Vet thinks an infection is a component of the fluid in her lungs. The heart disease has a part in the fluid too. Vet thought maybe start of pnemonia. We are upping to lasix to 0.2 cc's twice daily too. Rob thinks he can get the Septra into her, she doesn't like it at all! I am leaving for Pa in an hour and I left Rob the board url in case he feels he needs it.

pinta

Post   » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:20 pm

Yup, that's what I figured. See if your vet has portable oxygen tanks they can rent you. Mt vets have a small black case with 2 tiny tanks in it that are basically paramedic equipment - short duration oxygen administration.

Whenever a heart pig was ill the tanks went home with us. Now we're laughing because at 4 am we have access to our own.

Did she get a hydration subcue too?

Bloom pulled through her URI with daily vet visits for hydration subcues and (I think) antibiotic injections, handfeeding and oxygen.

It's part of the deal with heart pigs - any URI has to be taken as seriously as pneumonia.

Cara

Post   » Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:45 pm

No, she didn't get a subcue. And she didn't recieve oxygen. I didn't see my regular vet actually. She did consult with Dr. Fisher, he was swamped and they worked me in. I know that if he felt she needed a subcue she'd have had one. I have another app. next Thurs. I'll make sure to ask about the portable tanks. Vet said we caught it early, no nasal discharge only a little eye goop. I wonder if the move to Rob's has adversely affected her? His house is cooler than my apt. About 67-68. Do you think it's too cool?

pinta

Post   » Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:17 pm

More likely the stress of the move. Our house is very cool and they camne from a cool climate.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:52 pm

Warmth will help with any illness. Try to put in extra hay or a snuggly pigloo, hotwater bottle or something. When you are ill you can get the chills.

Cara

Post   » Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:11 pm

Lynx, I can't!!! I'm in Pa. Hopefully Rob is taking good care of her. I told him to bump the heat up and not chince on the hay. I'm coming back Sat. after my 3:30 wedding dress fitting.

Becky

Post   » Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:27 pm

Can Rob get some of the thermacare pads? That way she can get the warmth if she wants it.

pinta

Post   » Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:12 am

Or a towel wrapped hot water bottle.

Cara

Post   » Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:28 am

He put more hay in and bumped the heat up. She can snuggle with Josie. She used to snuggle with Squeaky. I talked to Rob last night and this am and he didn't have any trouble getting her meds into her. He said she was doing well this am, more active and her breathing is better. I really hate being away from her when she's sick.

Cara

Post   » Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:22 pm

Zipper was for a recheck today. Her lungs sounded good and clear. Vet suggested continuing the Septra until Sun for a total of 10 days.

This is the only time I feel like he blew me off.... he didn't think having oxygen on hand was a great idea. He said most people would over-oxygenate their pigs. All he would do was give me the company name and phone number they get theirs from. He got out of my room in a hurry then. Almost strange but... pinta, can I buy small enough masks for pigs elsewhere?

pinta

Post   » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:34 pm

He
said most people would over-oxygenate their pigs.

Not if they are given directions.

I'd search the net - veterinary supplies. Kitten equipment. Other than that I have no idea where you get them.

Cara

Post   » Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:33 am

He didn't seem at all willing to give me instructions. I'll search for the masks, perhaps, my other vet, Dr. E would be more willing to help with this. I think it's good to have on hand and what if this isn't congential? I have 5... sigh... 4 (I kept forgetting about Squeaky) of Zipper's siblings plus her mother.