Boars together?

mumsyof2

Post   » Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:55 pm

Paravati-
Do you have a photo of your set up? Do you not use coroplast in your cages? Sounds very simple- I'd love to see it.

mumsyof2

Post   » Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:57 pm

Duh, I just scrolled up. Is that coroplast with the hay in it? Good idea.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2003 8:58 am

No, it's what we do with all the silly petstore cages that people bring us owner-returns in. They only thing they're good for is travel cages and making hay boxes. :)

cindy29

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:25 pm

OK my new piggie is 5wks old and I have been introducing him to my 2yr old boy and all he wants to do is chase the baby around and hump him. I was wondering when and if this will stop....do full grown males living together do this all the time....any thoughts/experiences?

Tammy

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:59 pm

sounds like my pigs too! yes it's a normal behavior. but in my case it's the younger pig going after the older one.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:16 pm

Yes the chasing and humping sometimes goes on for a while. Did you read the Cavy Spirit page on introductions? Do you have a large cage and 2 of everything? Did you do a proper introduction in a neutral area?

If the answer to all of these questions is yes, don't sweat it. Chasing and humping usually subsides once the guinea pigs have their social order worked out. Usually, when I place 2 boars together after proper introductions, they make a mess of the cage for the first week chasing and humping each other.

One thing you don't want to do is separate them just because of normal dominance behavior. Then they have to start all over again.