Emergency~Help!

rosiecody

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:22 am

Hello, My guinea pig just ate a small rubber band. What should I do?

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:31 am

I would just watch to see if any signs of GI upset occur such as fluffed up hair, decreased activity, straining to poop. Perhaps it would be good to increase fiber and water, by handfeeding Critical care to try to help it go through. The best thing would be to call a cavy vet and see what they recommend. I'm at a loss as what to do, hopefully someone with more experience will come on shortly.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:44 am

It will likely pass through your guinea pig's system fairly quickly and cause no problems. See info on gastric transit time: www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

Watch for the signs Mkkayla mentions and see a vet if a problem develops.

whittibo

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:14 pm

I wonder just what the oddest thing is that a pig ever ate. I noticed some of my kids stickers had been nibbled before and they had that metalic look to them. I also found a top of a single serving pringles cup had been nibbled which is a lot like a paper tin-foil. I watched for signs of illness, and half expected some shiny poops, but never saw anything weird.

I do wonder how a piggie could pass a rubber band, or did it chew it up first? :s

MichelleC

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:05 pm

I'm so glad I read this today. This morning, a pig that I am "babysitting" ate some ribbon that was attached to balloon. I was wreck. I have calmed down a bit, but I'm watching her like a hawk.

The vet said to watch her for the symptoms mentioned above, for up to 3 days.

I'm sure hoping she chewed it first. Not sure she could have swallowed it whole.

So far, she seems okay, normal. Crossing my fingers and kicking myself for letting her get to it. :-(

M

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:29 pm

Fortunately my guys chew thoroughly. A slug of olive oil is good, followed by lots of water (syringe-fed, if necessary). My vet recommends laxatone, which is used for kitty furballs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:33 pm

I would avoid giving olive oil, mineral oil, or laxitone and instead rely on normal food and fiber to move things through.

mech

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:51 pm

One of my girls, Guinea, is obsessed with trashbags. If she can get to one she'll eat it every time. When I'm sweeping the cage and trying to get it into the bag I have to keep a constant eye on her because there she'll be, trying to have a snack of plastic. Oh yeah, one time she took a chunk out of our brand new floor molding, little brat.

MichelleC

Post   » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:40 am

So, if a pig eats a foreign object, are we likely to see it in their poops? I'm looking for a some red ribbon, but I haven't seen any. It's been 24 hours, I know it can take a little longer.

Is it a problem if I don't see any pass?

She is still eating, pooping and acting normally.

whittibo

Post   » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:00 am

I never saw any pieces of eaten things, but then again, I have 3 piggies and that's a LOT of poops to look through. Also, we use wood pellets and recycled bedding for their litter, so it's hard to see the poops anyway?! :s