The Piggie Herd

ElizaDaisy

Post   » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:22 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to the board and thought I would tell you a little about my pigs. I have two girls and a boy.

Scruffy is five years old and quite the lap pig. During floor time I have to chase her around to get her to exercise, she's very fond of sitting in the middle of the room like a big hairy lump. She has a bit of a weight problem and recently suffered from very weird lump of puss on her throat that my vet had to remove surgically. She did very well during the surgery and aftercare and is once again healthy and happy.

I'm not sure what kind of pig Scruffy is, she's tri-coloured with very soft shiny hair. Here's my girl:

Nadia is three years old, she lives with Scruffy. She's affectionately known as "The Biter". She's fast as lightning during floor time and her evil red eyes have scared more than one visitor away from petting her. ;) She was a gift from my boyfriend on Valentine's Day and she refuses to enjoy being petted or held.

And last is my boy Pepe. I adopted him from the SPCA four years ago as a buddy to my first pig Basil. They never really got along well enough to live together but they did spend daily floor time together. He's become a real sweetheart in his old age and loves to just lay on your lap. His hair is much coarser feeling than the girl's and he has a bit of a mohawk on the top of his head.

And here's their home that my husband built for them. It's a C&C cage. All of the yellow and part of the blue is the girl's part of the cage and the end part of the blue is Pepe's home.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm

I love Scruffy's colors. They have to be happy pigs.

Juliemarie

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:55 pm

About that lump on the throat. i have heard pigs are prone to abcesses under the mouth area (maybe lymph glands there). Could that have been the problem?

ElizaDaisy

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:12 pm

My vet thought that might have been the case. Once he had put her out for surgery he took a good look in her mouth to see if it was any problems with her teeth but could find nothing. He thought that she might have been poked with a sharp bit of hay and that it got a bit of bacteria in it, closed up and boom.... abscess city. It certainly had a lot of pus in it, that's for sure. Blecch! What I meant by weird, was that it had this thick wall of skin around the pus with no break or holes in the skin anywhere. He had never seen anything like it before. He actually came very close to being able to just slice the lump off without contaminating the area with pus that's how thick the wall of skin was. Weird. It took a long time to heal, but she's back to her normal, pus-free self now. :)

lisam

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:32 pm

Abcsesses in guinea pigs are quite common! I've been battling with neck abscesses in my Furby for months now. Just take a look in the emergency section at all the abscess threads.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:22 am

I think she meant that it was weird how the abcess was encapsulated.